Digitakt + Nord Drum 3P program(patch) change from Digitakt

Does anybody have this combo in action? I’ve managed to set up the Digitakt to control the nord (notes & cc). The one thing I can’t set up is chaning patches ont the nord from the Digitakt. According to the Nord spec that suppose to be either cc 0 or 32.

CC 0 is not av. on the digitakt and CC 32 doesn`t do anything at all. the bank/preset page also has no effect on the nord. Any ideas?

Not really. You can change patch by sending a MIDI Program Change message from the Digitakt. See page 12 of the ND3P manual.

The CC0 + CC 32 thing is the specification for a Bank Change message, which is unlikely to work in this case because Elektron has not implemented the Bank Change message correctly on the Digitakt.

3 Likes

Thnx mate,

I didn’t realize that it has to be turned on manually… I`ll try it out when I got home.

1 Like

It`s working! The bank won’t trigger but I can work with 50 presets in one sit. :smiley: The funny part is that I had the setup right but I didn’t realize that it only triggers on pattern change. Thnx again!

4 Likes

The ND3P’s manual is not very helpful, but there is a good probability that the Digitakt can cause it to select a program in another Bank if you send MIDI CC message number 32 (with value equal to the bank number) immediately before the Program Change message.

2 Likes

Go to AMP while on a MIDI track. Assign CC 32 to a knob.

Go to FILTER and turn that knob. It will change the bank.

2 Likes

Thnx mate,

I`ll try it out later on.

Can you elaborate on how the bank change messages are implemented incorrectly on the Digitakt?

I was having the same issue and I couldn’t figure out why they wouldn’t work when in theory they should have.

In the four years since my previous post, Elektron has implemented the SBNK parameter on the DT, which corresponds to the missing part of the Bank Select message that the ND3P requires.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing it up.

Indeed there is a SBNK option now and one can just enable that and the PROG control on the SCR page.

It seems that even if BANK is not enabled, it is still sent out as a CC message with 0 as the value.

On the OT i need to set Bank on 0 instead of OFF or it won’t work.

Question! I’ve made a template where I’ve mapped 8 CC messages for each drum channel.
However; when loading a kit everything matches the 0 state of the CC messages of course. And I’m constantly battling failed saves, resetting my nord… Is anyone doing the same, but better? Just disable the CC knobs and enable them once you need them for LFO’s or something?

Could not make this work, way to wobbly having to work round. alternatively using alternative sequencer an mpc works perfectly,

I used some midi-CC “parameter-locked” on my Nord Drum and it works without glitches.
But indeed, you need a sort silence to change the program during a song.