Digitakt replacing laptop live

Hi everyone!
So I will be competing in a Metal Festival in a few moths and I haven’t figured out my live setup yet.
Thing is, I’m torn between buying a laptop with Ableton or Digitakt.
I’m basically running my guitar through an ABY pedal, which goes to two different amps and then to the audio interface.
What I need the machine to do live is basically 3 things:
-Run my tracks one after the other.
-Apply sidechain compression to the 2 guitar signals along with the different bpm of each track.
-Apply automated LFOs on and off to each guitar signal during various sections of the different tracks.

All these can easily applied in Ableton, but I’m not sure if the Digitakt would be capable of doing that and more, I know it’s great for drums, but to run full tracks and apply automated stuff to them not so sure!

Thank you beforehand for all your inputs!
Peace!

I’m not sure if you’re gonna be happy with the Digitakt just for processing input signals.
Have a look at the 1010 bluebox/blackbox units, if you really want to go hardware.

If you’re looking for a sampler with a really cool workflow and user interface for quickly whipping out some grooves – get the Digitakt.

1 Like

You might run out of RAM on the DT depending on how long your backing tracks are.

Do you know how to use ableton?
Do you know how to use Elektron stuff?

One thing to think about, there’s no song/arranger mode on digitakt so that might be an issue for a guitar player.

Ableton is very easy to use, and very easy to set up an arrangement to play your tracks while you plat guitar.

Ive done laptop with ableton gigs quite a bit. If I were to think of a peice of hardware to replace it, Digitakt wouldnt be my first choice.

I’d go with the laptop dude. It might end up costing you a little more (depending on what you get), but I don’t think the Digitakt would be very good for your purposes.

As someone mentioned, you’ll likely run out of space. Also, the Digitakt only supports mono samples, so your backing tracks would have to be all mono (and I’d assume they’re not?)

The Digi might be able to do what you’re looking for, but it would be a pain, and Ableton is pretty much designed to do exactly what you’re trying to do.

I would suggest not to even look at a Digitakt. I assume you want to run full-on backing tracks, which DT is simply not capable of. Technically, you could go Octatrack, but that would be such an overkill.

Laptop and an audio interface is your clear go-to, plus you’ll be able to use it for so much more.

And don’t get me wrong - Digitakt is amazing, but for drum/beats creation and then live playing and mangling it and it is really not a playback machine :wink:

Thanks for the tip! I’ll look into those!

Hi! Yes I’m very familiar with Ableton and I’ve used Analog Rytm in the past. I remember it being quite extensive with the menus, which was a workflow killer for me, but for a preprogrammed set might just have worked. But yes, I think Ableton is probably the clearest way to go. Thank you for the answer!

Ahh yes, the mono only is definitely an issue. I think Ableton is then the clearest way to go, thank you for the answer!!

Hi! Yes I think so, I don’t wanna get lost in all tech specs to do smth that Ableton can easily do. I’ll go the DAW route. Thank you for the answer!

Just echoing what’s already been said here but it definitely seems like for your use, a laptop would be far more efficient. Digitakt is great but it’s not a super flexible audio processing tool.

…takt can’t provide whole playback tracks…and is also very limited in processing inputsignals on the go…that’s all octatrack terretory…

and if u need further sonic treatment for instruments handled at the same time, there’s pretty much no other easy way around a computer…

but with this headroom of preparation time ahead, u might wanna give a second hand octatrack a try…

since it’s always better to be a musician on stage sourrounded only by music instruments…
and the ot is the only music hardware that actually can replace a daw/laptop if prepared properly…

If you wanted to use hardware I’d use an MPC One for what you describe.

But, I’d probably use Ableton and map it from a midi foot controller.

1 Like