Digitakt: Sampling Query

Hi all,

Quick query.

Can I sample direct into Digitakt, create folders for samples, name the folders, create names for samples, and then dump all the folders and samples onto my computer?

I hope so, because I just bought one to do exactly that!

Yup

2 Likes

Brilliant thank you!

1 Like

Probably won’t be exactly how you want it to be though. I usually find it easier to sort the samples in the digitakt from the computer. The process of organizing and moving samples around the digitakt is just ok. All of your sampled sounds will first be put into a “recorded” folder. Then you can move it to a new folder after being saved there. If you are making batch samples, I’d make sure to make use of the copy and paste functions. Ex. Nord Tom low copy the name, record the next sample and paste. Change the name to nord Tom low etc.

If you use the transfer program, you can listen to, rename, and easily move your samples around the digitakt from your computer. Which can be pretty quick.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Great thanks for the tips. Sounds like what I need is possible and there’s options if it’s tedious.

Basically I want to sample the hell out of my Eurorack and create tracks from my own sounds.

Something I can do in the evenings like a sort of meditative process maybe!

You’ll be happy :slight_smile:

Another thing. If you’re anything like me you’ll have more fun if you make it a habit to move the samples you recorded to a different folder at the end of each session. Even if it’s just a catch all folder, coming into it with an empty folder means you can just sample things and try them out without worrying about names until you know you want to keep it.

I started doing this pretty recently. I wish I’d have started earlier.

7 Likes

One very cool thing that enables this workflow is that the file system is content addressable… no matter how you move around the samples, if the same file is still on the +drive your projects/patterns will find it. So you can be sloppy in the moment and then go organize things for yourself later.

4 Likes

Yes. You’ll be using the elektron Transfer software to do it.

(So not drag and drop like OT)

crunch/elk-herd is the best way to manage your Digitakt