Digitakt Step Seq not Automatically Advancing

I am new to the world of the Elektron Digitakt so just discovered the Step Seq Mode. The step seq does not automatically advance to the next step but rather i have to manually advance it with the arrow buttons. I watched several videos and even jumped in discord with a friend trying to troubleshoot it. I am using a new project and updated the firmware. Neither fixed the issue.

Has anyone experienced this or have a suggestion?

Are you on the latest 1.40B (released 2days ago)? There was a bugfix for the step advance marker not showing.

Yes, I updated it a day after it was released. I find it very odd that I am the only one having this issue. Has to be software because everything else works fine. I even tried unhooking all of my midi gear, rebooted into an empty project but still the same. very odd

Just watched your vid again - i see you’re in Step Jump mode so thatmight be something to do with it… ?

Pressing REC + STOP multiple times toggles between Jump and Standard mode. You want to be in Standard mode to not skip any steps.

But i can only recreate your issue with specific settings in Jump mode (e.g. 4/16 pattern length, trig length 1/4) but this won’t be the cause if you’re using a new default set. Best asking support really.

1 Like

I don’t have my DT with me so I can’t test this, but I think the issue is that you have to press and hold [FUNC] for auto advance to work. I got stuck with this too and gave up and then I saw someone else do that in a video and I had an ah-ha moment.

From the manual, which I just checked now:

1. Press and hold [FUNC] and then press [TRIG 1–16] key to add a note trig on the corresponding track to the active step. The active step then automatically advances to the next step.

Update:

The step sequencer does not work when the USB cable is hooked up to the computer with Logic X running for some reason. If I unplug the USB and reboot it works as it is supposed to. I will have to investigate further or not use this feature when using Logic X. I run the Digitakt through and Interface into Logic X for effect chains. A bit disappointing but it is a Logic X issue.

Never really tried step record on my digitakt till tonight and it doesn’t advance steps in either standard or jump mode
Doesn’t matter if i use external keyboard or hold function and use the onboard buttons

Pressing right arrow will advance ok tho, that way is still possible to record as normal

Is this a bug? Am on the latest firmware and AFAIK everything else works fine
Does step record still work for others here in their DT with latest FW?