Digitakt Track Limit (Newbie Question)

I’m still learning how to use my DT, I’m pretty new to music production in general so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. Currently creating a song and I’ve used all 8 tracks that are available on the DT but I wanted to add more depth to it. Is there a way to bypass the 8 track limit? Would I need to sample what I’ve created so far and turn it into a single sample to clear up some room or is there another way that I’m unaware of?

You can use sample locks or sound locks to change the sound for each step in your sequence.

In step record mode, hold one of the trig buttons and change the sample for that step by turning the sample select knob on the SRC page.
You can change almost all parameters for each step by using this method.

1 Like

Interesting, so I’m not restricted by only having 8 tracks?

Well, you’re still restricted by 8 tracks(+ 8 MIDI tracks), but you can make better use of the tracks with this method.

For instance, an open and closed hihat could be combined on the same channel.
Or if you have a lot of effects samples that only play sometimes, you can combine those to one “effects” channel.

It all depends on your creativity, since almost every parameter can be locked to a step, every step on a single channel can still sound completely different. Each step can have it’s own amount of delay/reverb send, filter type, envelope settings or LFO settings.
You can copy and paste steps to make this easier.

Then there is also the fill option. Steps assigned to fill only play when fill is active.
Which in essense gives you an extra layer on top of each track.

Your only real restrictions are the 128 samples that can be loaded, and the 128 sounds in the sound pool.
Any of those can be on any step, on any of the 8 channels.

1 Like

You can bouce tracks down into 1. Aka resampling.
You can use sound locks, eg have kick snare hats all on one track, instead of 3.

You can combine the above method to achieve very deep layers.

Enjoy.

1 Like