Digitakt / Transfer Frustration

Update

Thanks guys, for offering all your suggestions!
After managing to update to 1.30B on an old computer, doing a fresh install of Transfer and Overbridge, cleaning up in Midi Studio and restarting about a dozen times the situation remains the same.
I guess I’ll open a ticket and see what happens, thanks again.

Hi Elektronauts, apologies if this has been posted 500+ times before, but I’ve reached the limits of my patience with this.
I’m attempting to connect my Digitakt (OS 1.30) to my MacBook Pro (Big Sur) and getting no joy at all. Transfer loads up fine but once I attempt to connect to the Digitakt, it either freezes completely or the status flickers constantly between ‘measuring(?)’ and ‘initialising’, only holding the connection for seconds before I have to attempt it again.

What I’ve tried so far

• 2 different USB cables and ports
  • Uninstalling / re-installing the Transfer app
  • Getting rid of any extra devices in Midi Studio
  • Using crunch/elk-herd - same story, constantly loses connection
  • I’ve also tried Sysex Librarian with the same response

Other Details

• USB Config - USB Audio/Midi
  • When trying to connect, the Audio/MIDI Setup in Mac totally freezes and I have to force quit

Strangely enough, when I connect to my old MacBook running El Capitan it works fine with no issues at all. However, the OS is too old to run Transfer but elk-herd is seamless and quick.

Could this be an issue with the Audio/MIDI Setup on the MacBook Pro?

Any and all help would be dearly appreciated!

A simple thing to try is to restart the computer.
Another, that’s more of a pain in the ass is to re-install the OS.
You didn’t mention whether you’ve installed all the latest updates from Elektron, but since it’s working on your other computer that probably irrelevant.
Good luck.

my advice:

install latest 1.30B FW, reinstall all Overbridge thingies (Engine etc.), reboot after uninstall / in between

Hey, thanks for the reply!

> Another, that’s more of a pain in the ass is to re-install the OS.
Total pain in the ass but might be the last resort solution…

Yep, tried reinstalling the whole lot several times… no luck.
Unfortunately I’m unable to install the new OS on Digitakt without a connection to Transfer :frowning:

delete everything from AMS (audio midi setup) is an okay ‘price’ - it has helped issues for me before, the issue with these boxes is they create three identities in AMS and it can get messy, especially when renaming devices and installing new OSs

i wouldn’t be keen on reinstalling a computer OS

demonstrate first whether you can do anything basic with just a midi USB (aot +audio) and come to transfer last - get the midi bottomed out and ask support for hints if that falls flat

is your Digitakt in Overbridge mode? MIDI USB mode? You might wanna switch that around

you can do it with sysex lib on older mac u have

latest transfer may need newest os (or is it other way around )

2 Likes

Or Elektrons own C6 :slight_smile:

Not sure why they scrapped it TBH, I use it/have used it for various other non-Elektron hardware too.

USB config is in AUDIO/MIDI.
I tried Overbridge as well with no luck.

I just updated my Digitone and Transfer clearly told me to enable Overbridge in my Digitone.

Delete everything Elektron related. Start from scratch (and download everything from the website). I don’t think there is anything broken. Had this behavior one time as well.

1 Like

Transfer told you to enable Overbridge? :thinking: Do you have a screenshot of that?
I know that there is such a message in Overbridge Engine.

2 Likes

You’re right … the notification came from the Engine – misinterpreted that.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-03 um 15.06.52

2 Likes

I used it for the RYTM mk1 and it worked a charm!
Is it still supported or executable on newer OS?

I’ve cleaned it all out - not much there prior TBH.

My Maschine and Midi keyboard connect and work just fine which leads me to believe it somehow an issue exclusive to the Digi.

1 Like

No need to be in OB mode. USB midi is enough.
As long as your DT is not up to date, transfer 1.4 won’t work.

Use sysex librarian to update DT.

Hi Dave, thanks for the response.
Unfortunately Sysex Librarian presents the same connection issues as Transfer :frowning:
The problem was the same as well before the 1.30B update…

1 Like

Ah that’s unfortunate. Think it would be best to contact Elektron support at this point

1 Like

I highly doubt C6 runs on newer OS, I think thats why they stopped supporting it. But it should work on your El Capitan computer. Worth a try if you want the update done, you already mentioned the USB midi is fine on that one.

@isolatpatt Did you manage to solve this problem? We don’t think this is related to Overbridge since if you use SysExLibrarian/Elk-herd/Transfer in USB-MIDI mode you are using a Class-Compliant MIDI driver. This is a MIDI driver that is shipped with MacOS and is not a part of Overbridge.

1 Like