Digitakt vs. Roland MC 707?

ahhh yea… that is how i use it with the KP3 for live looping :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

That Kenton controller is nice indeed but very pricey compared to a 16 sliders/16 buttons Kenton Freak Studio edition. Unfortunately not available from Kenton anymore.
I still use mine nowadays for DAW control, SysEx etc…
Rock solid :slight_smile:

360_14140ed731ab8064c3fbf2d1a5c26bf2

1 Like

the better choice in my opinion would be the DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter Twister.

16 endless encoder with push in 4 banks!

Do the MC101 and 707 have precise microtiming per step like Elektron?

THERE YA GO! All set!

yes

1 Like

Digitakt is sampler.
707 is synth with sampler capabilities.

so, when compared to (any) full-blown dedicated sampler, 707 will suck, because sampling-wise it’s underpowered, and this is by design.

does this mean that 707 is worse? no, it’s actually a machine of different kind.

That’s what my impression is. While the 707 has a deep synth engine, it only has very rudimentary sampling and sample editing capabilities.
Very different.

2 Likes

na you can do all what’s needed. don’t just look on the looper!
the mc707 has 2 samplers. The drum / tone sampler with 12 minutes sampling time and the looper with only 1 minute sampling time.

As i made a drumkit i not realy missed something on it. I could do all what was needed. Fast recodring, cutting and assign samples to pads.

well same funtionality as the digitakt as far as i can remember (i sold the digi long time ago)

My partner bought an MC-707 that she hasn’t had the chance to dig into. It’s been sitting by her CDJs for the last 5 weeks. I may just take it on its maiden voyage to see what it’s all about! I love my TR8-S and wonder how a Roland groovebox feels.

Haven’t noodled with a Digitakt as I have an Octatrack and I don’t think there’s much the the DT can do that the OT can’t.

On the DT, you can copy midi notes. The 707 can’t do this, as far as I can tell. I hope I’m wrong though. Or it will be added in a future update.

It’s hard to edit midi on the 707.

In the meantime Roland has released firmware 1.20 and 1.30 for the MC-707. I saw some YT movies and I’m interested. How are the sample capabilities nowadays?

I had a Digitakt for 2 years, sold it and now I regret it (in the meantime i bought a M:S which is so cool and pretty similar, I miss Overbridge though). Had a 707 for 6 months, sold it with no regret.
If you’re into the “Elektron” workflow, if you like it, go with the Digitakt, you’ll never regret that choice.

MC-707’s firmware is too young with too many bugs and too many lacks of crucial functions.
The very good points on the 707 are the faders and the synth engine (quite powerful!)

1 Like

What are the bugs and the lack of crucial functions?

Bugs with samples/loops import, lack of arpeggiator, weird workflow sometimes…

1 Like

Just got another Digitone and Digitakt. Had a 707. I dont make music, just like to play music. The Elektrons are just plain fun.

If I just sit down with a 707, I will finger drum some drum beats, scroll around looking for some good rompler sounds to make a lead…use my Keystep to pound out some notes…and I"m done.

If I sit down with either the DT or DN, i can spend hours just noodling around, playing with P locks, just enjoying myself. With both, even more fun.

I am trying to acquire music items that I can play with, not just play. I had a Neutron and it was nice but having a Circuit mono station gives me bass sounds but also a cool sequencer and so it’s more fun to play with than the Neutron. I had a TR8S and it was fun but bought a Vermona DRM mk. 3 and just have a lot more fun tweaking knobs and listening to different analog sounds. The TR8S was great but for JUST drums, the Vermona is a lot more enjoyable.

Sorry, off topic. Digitakt!

1 Like

I know that can’t be a serious thing, but you can design an lfo where the steps affect pitch.
It’s quite wonky, but in the end it’s like an lfo.
I guess arp will come in the next update, and fixes too.

1 Like

It is easy to overlook the digitakt and point its flaws or its ‘limitations’ by design.

Truth is, it’s LFO section is pretty deep and is still a sizable advantage over a lot of boxes.

Not to mention the compressor, the MIDI section and its 8 dedicated tracks, etc.

It has a few tricks up its sleeve that still make it a go-to box even after 3 years of use…

Even though I have plenty of gear kicking around, it still is the brain of my setup wether I go small or big in the studio.

1 Like

I had the Mc-707 a little bit after it was released and I returned it after a week or less. The screen is hard to see unless you have it tilted up, it also just looks bad and for someone who already wears glasses it’s bad I can’t look and feel like it’s sharp enough and has loads of backlight bleeding. I spent good money on that and it still felt cheap. Then it was also the fact it was too big for the space I could afford.
The menu diving… :sweat_smile:
Sampling features just felt a bit confusing and I expected more I guess. The sequencer looked like Ableton live but way less intuitive.