Digitakt vs. Roland MC 707?

I agree, the screen is a joke on the MC-707. What kind of penny’s were Roland pinching when they picked that thing.

It must be the same people that selected the octatrack2 screen.
Area with used pixels in cm (appx):
707: 9x3
OT: 6x3, that is smol.
Both are totally not colored in any way.
Well, Octatrack has more viewing angle and is crisper but has lower resolution instead…

Ha, both are not worthy for years 2010+

Yes but the backlight bleed on that screen makes it all worse, and like the screen seems to be 1cm away from the plastic cover, which makes it all worse. It was like 700-800 pounds. Brought it home and was like damn this feels really light, really plasticky. The buttons too. I just felt like I didn’t buy a machine worth the money. I am sure some people will make great music with it though.

I would take the OT screen any day. I can sit down and use my OT, but with the 707 I had be looking almost directly over it. The viewing angle was just not conducive for me.

I love it, and here is why:

Is there a box that can do all of that what the 707 can do?

audio ins&outs in a very easy to use fashion
1 midi in 2 midi out(or through, whatever you like)
8 drum tracks or 8 polyphonic deep synths (in any combination), that you can perfectly and easy sequence with other boxes too (in my case i use mostly Octatrack sequencer with it, sometimes the Pyramid, but mostly OT…)
streaming that frequencies over usb into daw of all inputs and tracks separated too.
Is it a plastic bomber? Yes. Is it fair priced for what it does?
For me it’s worth every penny.

same here, let an Digitakt go and have regretted it ever since, was excited to pick up an 707, immediately regretted it and was lucky enough to get rid of it. It is a powerful instrument but sometimes it’s not what you can do as much as how you can do something that really counts… I got a Model samples and I do love it but still I need to replace that Digitakt something awful. I think the only thing that will quench my regret is a Digitakt mk2!

You can’t use single cycle waves on the MC 707 properly, a shame…

just curious. Why would you use single cycle waveforms if you had a synth engine that deep?

2 Likes

Sometimes you need to search for issues.

But anyway:
I tried it - well, it does not loop wav’s, but you can load them into an osc.
So for me, if I NEED to use a single cycle I’m looping it into a long wav before I load it into the 707…
Workarounds, workarounds.

I prefer SCW over samples … Less space, no timestretch…

Are there mc 707 + Elektron Gear videos rather than vs?

Interested to see how it integrates, flows etc compared to the mpc lives for instance…

2 Likes

was going to figure out today what I can do with 707+OT+DN combo

Yeah, me too.

I am eyeing a 707 as the center of my setup, combining it with a M:S (extra samples) and/or M:C (707 has no FM).

Hello,
if you are like me, trying to produce pop / sythpop dawless, the MC707 is a dream !
Digitakt is great, but finnancialy guys !
You need a digitakt + a polyphonic expandeur (if you want to play piano/electric piano sounds) + a digitone if you want to add some nice layers of fm on it + a loop pedal for looping your guitars = Approximatively 2000€
The MC707 does it all (not fm I know, but so much preset that you can find sounds that can fake it).
For producing demos for a not very fortunate one-man band in its bedroom the MC707 is a game changer.
Ok elekton gear is well designed (I am a designer, I know what it is), but you can’t beat this efficency !
If you have a cheaper bill with the digitakt for pop songs, please tell me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

post an example of the kind of pop music you’re talking about… not from the mc-101, but something from a well known artist… I’m interested in clarifying exactly the kind of style you in particular are talking about?

For example

Imagine the set up : digitakt + yamaha cp ?
For that can of music, I do imagine that MC707 is more suitable

I see, you could probably get away with the mc-101

Right?
I love Elektron gear, if you have any idea how to set this up, tell me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep in mind that 707 has had quite a few significant updates since the initial post, I didn’t really like it too much when I tried it earlier this year, but since getting another recently I do, main differences with DT:

DT has 8 mono and monophonic sample tracks, plus 8 midi tracks
707 has 8 tracks total, but these are all polyphonic and can be tone, drum, looper and/or midi
DT has stereo out, 707 has stereo out + assignable out pair + send/return
DT can lock many parameters per track, 707 can lock 4
Both have microtiming and probability, DT also has x/x iteration, fill etc
707 has many types of fx and filters, DT has flexible filter, reverb, delay, comp
DT is compact and sometimes feels cramped, 707 is large but can feel a bit too big
DT can have many patterns in memory at a time, 707 only 1 project at time consisting of 8 tracks x 16 clips each
DT has roughly half sampling time and in mono, no proper slice mode, although functionally 707 and DT sampling and assigning are very similar, in that a region of a sample can be assigned to a pad/track.
Sample playback time is about same for both at around 12 minutes per project.
707 has scale, chord, DT just has chromatic
DT can play 8 voices, 707 upto 128 although complexity of filters, tones etc will cut this quickly
DT has patterns with tracks, 707 has tracks with patterns (clips) what this means is structure can be more freely mixed and matched on 707
707 has more flexible note event sequencing, DT has more flexible parameter sequencing
707 has velocity sensitive pads, DT has non velocity buttons
707 is much quicker to get started, DT a bit more focussed.
707 can be a “surface scratchers” machine but has depth for those that want it, DT requires you to dig deeper to get best from it.

There are other differences too, but these would be the main ones to consider, both very capable machines with some overlap, both sound great and are enough to do full tracks on.

13 Likes

707 seems to be a cool partner in crime with the Digitakt.

2 Likes