Digitakt w/ SP404mk2 - suggestions

Hey all :slight_smile:

Do any of you use your Digitakt with an SP404?

I have an SP404mk2 on the way and want something to pair it with - seen a few videos on YouTube and really into what I have seen. Previously owned a Model Samples so I’m familiar with the Elektron terminology and workflow

I’m basically looking to create a DAWless set up for making music and then will import into Ableton for finishing touches

Are there any other pieces of hardware I should be considering instead of the Digitakt? Do the Digitakt and SP interface well and what kinds of things do you do with them in regards to bouncing, mangling, triggering etc?

Many thanks

Hi xox,

You want to buy a new sampler while waiting for your new sampler to arrive : you may be in a GAS crisis ?

Maybe wait for the 404 to arrive and play with it for at least x month, then you’ll know better.

5 Likes

You speak the truth! I’ve recently dipped out of the Native Instruments Maschine game and sold all my hardware so I’m looking for a set up that I can use away from the computer to create, staring at a computer for work 12hrs a day has really sapped my energy and I find it difficult to sit down and create on Ableton

I guess I’m primarily wanting the Digi for drums at this point due the sequencer and how much I enjoyed that in the Model Samples

This is what has kind of inspired me with this set up https://youtu.be/JL6fLI36oMI

I’m also considering an iPad for synths etc later down the line but have a friends one I can borrow and try in the meantime

Not going to lie the wait for the MK2 is killing me and I’m waiting to see if there are any Black Friday deals on the Digitakt in UK

1 Like

What the original reply was telling you is to be patient… wait before buying the Digitakt.

You’ve already purchased the SP404 MKII so you don’t need another sampler. You literally just bought the latest greatest hardware sampler available.

Unlike the Digi you can actually zoom into wave forms, it has touch sensitive pads, plus the SP404MKII is more portable than the Digitakt. If staring at screens is your complaint you don’t even have to be anywhere near a wall socket… just put batteries in the SP and go.

You say that you want the Digitakt for drums… but the SP404 has more storage (16 minutes per sample!!) and more polyphony than the Digitakt and it does come with pre-loaded sounds that you could tweak. Digi only has 8 sample tracks SP has 16.

So then that makes me wonder… Do you just want the Digi as a sequencer? If that is the case I would have been looking at an MPC One, Circuit Tracks, Deluge, or maybe even one of the Roland groove boxes prior to the SP404 purchase. You would have a full standalone setup with synthesis, drums, sampling, and sequencing with one of those. Get your SP404MKII play with it, learn it, get familiar with its power and limitations THEN make a decision on where to go from there.