Digitone complete crash

This has happened twice now, makes me not even want to use the thing, despite it being an amazing device.

I’ll be in the middle of browsing sounds and the machine just locks up and gives out a high pitch whine. When power cycling from this state, the machine sometimes turns on but the display isn’t working at all, and sometimes the power button doesn’t do anything. Turning off and leaving it for a few minutes before turning it back on, and everything SEEMS to be back to normal.

I read there are other reports of freezing when using arps, and this seems to be the case here too. Both times, I was browsing and auditioning arp sounds at the time. This seems to be a recognised bug but it’s extremely worrying that sometimes the DN will not even power back on after the freeze.

Your own anecdotal experience is the one to follow here - give it a 30 second wait if you get an abnormal issue like that, a quick power cycle may only increase the anxiety.

Fly it past support to see if it’s being reported under similar use cases to them already

2 Likes

A difficult lesson I’ve learned with the digi boxes (especially the digitakt, but also the digitone): if something weird happens, shut the box off for a minute. If the machine doesn’t load properly when you turn it back on, turn it off for another minute. At the very least, my digi’s always seem to boot properly on the second cycle :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah you’re right, leaving a cooling off period between power cycles is going to be best. I wish I knew what triggered it so I can avoid it happening, it seems to be arp related.

1 Like

This sounds like a power delivery issue to me. If you have another Elektron device with the same adapter, try swapping. Also try different outlets.

2 Likes

Same thing used to happen to mine and it slowly got worse. I had to send it in to Elektron after creating a support ticket, but through the store I bought it from. It took a while (months) but I got a loaner unit through the store in the meantime. It’s been working perfectly fine since I got it back. I recommend doing that, unfortunately. I had read other reports of identical behaviour while I was trying to fix it myself.

1 Like