Digitone Sound Levels

Hi, all.

I’m new to Digitone, but a long time eurorack noodler. I just purchased one and noticed some odd behavior that could be the result of operator error.

About half of the presets work just fine. Volume is rich and can be easily adjusted with the rotary volume control.

About a quarter of the presets produce no sound or almost no sound regardless of the volume control.

The remaining quarter produce a slight sound but when I attempt to turn the volume all the way up, it cuts out almost like a faulty or dirty potentiometer would… like there is a dead spot when near fully clockwise that continues dead until fully clockwise.

I admit to being new to this device, so it could be operator error. I opened a ticket with Elektron, too, but thought perhaps one of you might have some advice.

1 Like

This is interesting. It doesn’t sound like anything I have come across. You could try running test mode. This can show hardware issues. I can’t recall how off the top of my head, but if you search the manual for “Test Mode” it should be in there.

Also maybe try a factory reset. You should back things up if you have made any patterns, but since it is new, you may not have to worry about that.

Either way, it is a good idea that you opened a ticket, they should get you sorted out.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve done the following:

did a factory reset
upgraded to OS 1.30
ran in “test mode” - 0 errors

Still having the same problem. Some sounds work fine. Others are silent. Other work a bit but go silent when the volume is turned all the way up.

My gut says this will end up being something I am doing wrong.

Thank you for pitching in with the advice!

Sounds like you’re using a pair of headphones with a TRRS connector (e.g headset w/ mic), which will cancel out any sound that is in mono - most likely the sounds you can hear fine have some stereo effects applied.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I am using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros. They do not have a mic.

Here is something interesting. When in “test mode”, I accidentally access “key test”. I don’t know if this is a useful diagnostic, but all of the Digitone keys and encoders show some kind of feedback on the “key test” display except “master volume”. When I turn “master volume” in key test nothing happens on the display.

Master volume doesn’t show anything also on mine but i think it’s normal , other will confirm or not . Aside that i never actually used the jack output just the usb output ad from my pc every sound work normally . Try to connect the digitone with the usb cable and use ableton or the digitone overbridge app to see if everything sound normal

1 Like

That seems super weird. If you did a factory reset and it persists then I would return it if possible.

So it appears my headphones or the Digitone headphone port may be the problem. I plugged the Digitone into my Scarlett 2i2 using separate TRS cables and everything works fine. But my headphones are also TRS and work with all of my other gear. Curious…

1 Like

I’ve done some further testing and shared results with the folks at Elektron:

Test 1 — I connected the Digitone via the Digitone’s right and left output jacks to a Scarlett 2i2 using TRS cables.
Results — All sounds reproduce fine. The volume control works as it should for all sounds.

Test 2 — I connected the Digitone via the Digitone’s headphone jack to the Scarlett 2i2 using a single TRS cable.
Results — All sounds reproduce fine. (No stereo, of course.) The volume control works as it should for all sounds.

Test 3 — I connected my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones to the Digitone headphone jack. The DT990s have a TRS connector.
Results — Most sounds reproduce fine. For those sounds, the volume control works as it should. However, many of the sounds, especially the bass sounds, are nearly silent. And, if I turn the volume clockwise, all sound cuts out for these sounds before I reach full clockwise rotation.

My headphones work fine in all of my other devices, so I am at a loss. Being able to use the Digitone away from my DAW was a big bonus, so this capability is key.

2 Likes

Sounds like phase cancellation with the head phones. Look at the bass presets (that are silent) and see if chorus is used heavily.
Then check your headphones on other gear, say software ,that can phase shift one channel opposite to the other with say a phase switch on a mixer channel or stereo phase effect.

1 Like

Perfect Circuit Audio was extremely helpful. Based upon the symptoms I reported, they concluded that it’s probably a hardware problem and provided an RMA. I can’t say enough about how helpful they were. Elektron was ready with an RMA, too, and was certainly also helpful. For sake of closure, I’ll report back when I get the replacement from PCA.

1 Like

Perfect Circuit confirmed there was a problem with my unit. They are shipping me a replacement. I can’t say enough about how helpful they have been.

2 Likes

Yea PC rules, they’ve been great with all defect returns I’ve done with them. Had three defective items come lately in different purchases and they were so fast getting things taken care of.

Just received my replacement. Same issue. After some experimenting, I determined that sounds that do not use chorus are those I cannot hear through my headphones. Turn chorus up… and sounds come through. Any thoughts about why this might be so and how I can address it? Is there something I could place between the Digitone and my headphones that would eliminate this problem?

Sounds like maybe stereo phase cancelation. Have you tried other outputs or other headphones or speakers?

1 Like

Works fine with the L&R outs. Does not work with any of my headphones.

BTW, the headphone jack can be used to play these sounds to my speakers just fine. Thus it appears there is either a problem with my headphones or a general incompatibility of some sounds with headphones.

This isn’t really a thing. (:

So, …

This is a possibility. Also, if you’re using any adapters (e.g., 1/4" to 1/8") they could be causing the issue you’re describing as well.

The headphone jack is a stereo TRS jack, so anything TS, or even TRRS, could be flubbing it.

hth

1 Like

I guess there’s always a chance they’ve sent you the same unit back. I’ve had that happen! Are you able to check and compare serials?

Try your Scarlett 2i2: Connect the Digitone to it via its regular ouputs, use the headphone output of the Scarlett with your Beyerdynamics, does that work correctly?

1 Like