Digitone - Turn off "External Midi Note Recording" but Keep Parameter Locking

Hi, Just picked up a Digitone! And new to the forum :smile:

So, I’m using eurorack modular sequencers + CV2Midi modules to sequence the digitione. It works swimmingly.
But here’s my question:

Can I turn off the “record incoming midi note data” function, and still be able to record digitone parameter locking?
Basically when my external modular sequencer is running, and I hit Record+Play on the digitone to enable parameter locking, it starts recording the incoming midi notes as well (whilst fun and definitely results in interesting layered sequences), its not preferred.

Cheers and thanks for having me. Here’s a little clip of some action, all sounds ala Digitone:

1 Like

welcome :slight_smile:

go to "port config” and uncheck “receive notes”. This should work.

hi thanks for the input. Unfortunately that method turns off all incoming midi data to the Digitone.
i want to be able to send midi to all channels, and enable live parameter recording while still sending midi notes via my external sequencer- *BUT not record the incoming midi notes at the same time.

I would like to do the same, like trigless trigs with parameter locks as I do the note sequencing with the MPCX.

A quick, but allbeit not perfect workaround to this issue:
enable Grid Recording mode. Hold Function + Trig for all 16 steps, so they turn Yellow,
then press the trigs and do your parameter locking per step without having the trigs be Notes (red led).

As you can guess, this mode of parameter locking is out of perfect sync with my external sequencer as it fires notes on the Digitone,

1 Like

In general no Elektron machine can do what you want. You need another box to perform some midi filtering to get there.

Either use a laptop + some midi filtering software and route midi through it before hitting the Digitone or use something like the BomeBox

hmm. I see. thats unfortunate. strange. i mean, not every application requires recording of the incoming notes. seems like it would be useful. the world is full of hardware sequencers, and having the option to continuously play the machine and make use of knob automation without having layered sequences imploding on each other would be super rad.
my workaround is fine. and I’ve sorted out my sync/clock issue. so I’ll just make use of parameter locking in grid recording mode, on Trigs with yellow led’s. so as my ext seq runs, it will sync with those.

re: Midi Filtering ? hmm. how would that work exactly. what would be “filtered”?
Is there a way to stop the midi notes from reaching the “Auto Channel”?..
Even with Auto Channel off… which is how the Digitone records the notes.

MIDI filtering == remove different kind of MIDI messages from a MIDI stream

Examples:

1. Filter out Note On events
  2. Filter out some/all CC events

The BomeBox, for example, can do all kind of filtering, but also routing (merging etc.) and transforming (change one CC to another etc.). It’s a kind of swiss-army-knife for MIDI mangling.

Update: Sorry, I was lazy reading your original post. When you only want to keep the machine from recording the notes, but not from receiving them in general, then filtering won’t help you. Indeed nothing would help, but a new feature for the sequencer implemented by Elektron.

1 Like

What you need is to do the automation outside the DN, same as you do with notes.
Then you can record the plock solely offline.

But usually people use an Elektron box for this, not the other way around.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input… I’m working on getting a CV to CC eurorack module. which will give me 10 configurable CC channels/destinations, which will allow me to do just that., CV-Parameter Locking is going to be fun!
Here’s hoping its a possible feature in the future.

1 Like

+1 to the request of this feature … I would expect this box to do something like this… i was…

Old thread but in case anyone else wants to do this. I have a workaround that I use. It does mean kind of losing a track though.

So…
On track 1

Turn amp all the way down
Turn on layering to track 2
Mute track 1

Set your midi controller to channel 1 ( or whatever you have track 1 set to )

On track 2 ( the sound your using )
Live record your automation, midi notes won’t be recorded

The notes will be recorded to track 1 but as long as it’s muted it doesn’t matter.

To do the same to other tracks just change the layering option on track 1.

Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

I dig up this thread to avoid creating a new one with the same subject and losing the infos given on this one.

I’m actually away from my gears for some times and sketching musical ideas on paper ; ideas that led me to a question that I didnt found the answer to on the Internet I’ve consulted.

Does parameter locks works when recieving notes from external controler ? To be more precise, could I send a sequence of X steps from controler A to Digitone track 1, track which I set for being Y steps, with p.locks on it ?

For exemple, sending a 64 steps notes sequence from controler A to DN’s track 1. This while activating the sequence programmed on the DN’s track 1 in sync, but this sequence would be 16 steps long with only a p.lock on step one : so I could hear the changes inputed on p.lock at the start of each bars of the controler A sequence ?

Edit : after being reunited with my setup I can assure you, old me, that it works perfectly.

1 Like

I can’t try right now but I’d say this should work. The incoming MIDI will play the digitone and the internal sequence will affect parameters with P-locks, yes.

May be wrong though :blush:

I finally could try this myself, and it works like a charm !
Only regret now is that, as you cant send p.lock data from one voice to another through layering in the voices option, you cant create a wild chain of p.locking sequences at different duration.
But I guess my loops sounds stupid enough already without that option :+1:

1 Like