Display loaded preset name?

Hi,
New user here. Basic question, but I’m stumped: I can’t figure out how to display the name of a particular preset that’s already loaded. If I press the preset button, it’ll show me the type, but not the name. If I press function and the preset button I’ll change the preset. Hoping to remember the names better for less scrolling, and to make notes of what’s what in my sessions.

Thanks!

In Cycles the “preset” is just a shortcut for putting a synth engine into the desired state. Once you load a preset onto a track Cycles washes its hands and doesn’t track what happens with it next. Also the way Cycles is designed encourages you to constantly play with parameters and bend them into completely different sounds and sound types: perc tom can easily become a bass and metal hat can end up a noise texture. In this mayhem tracking the preset becomes redundant so I see why Elektron did them this way.

1 Like

Copy that, thanks!

One way of keeping those notes is to not only load the preset to the track, but also copy it to your ‘locks’ folder. Of course if you then change the sound on your track, the sound in the locks folder won’t follow those changes … but if you want a rough record of how you built your pattern, that might help.

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks @bibenu

1 Like