DIY 3 Tier Elektron Cheeks

Hello, fellow Elektronauts :slight_smile:

I had built myself acrylic cheeks for my first 2 Elektron machines, the A4 and OT, 2-3 months ago.
But just recently, I treated myself with a new Machinedrum UW+ MkII, and of course, “my cheeks” were full :smiley:

So I decided to build another set, and take a few pictures in the process ; it might inspire someone.

I wanted to keep the same shape I had designed for the 2 tier version, only expanding it one level.
The angles are such that the machines aren’t close to the vertical position (that would be very bad for me after 25 years behind a computer keyboard : tendinitis alert) and that the cables have lots of room between tiers (allowing an easy access to the power switches.)
I also added handles for transport.

General process :

• draw the shape with a pencil on the board
  • cut the cheek with a jigsaw (I use Festool for the precision)
  • with a file, correct the little mistakes
  • stick the 2 halves together
  • use a drill press for the screw holes and the A4 vents
  • copy the first cheek onto the second with the router
  • use a fretsaw to cut the handles and the A4 vents
    (- optional : use the router to round all the angles)
  • sand finely (I used 400 grade sandpaper)
  • varnish/paint.

Tools used :

• jigsaw
  • router (with a copy bit and a rounding bit)
  • drill press (dremel with a 3mm wood bit)
  • fretsaw
  • files
  • sand paper

Materials :

• multiplex board 60x50cm : 7.5€
  • mahogany coloured varnish : 8€
  • M3 screws & nuts, 16mm : 2.5€
    Total cost : 18€

I wanted 13 or 14mm screws so that only 3-4 mm would enter the Elektrons, but only found 12mm (slightly too short) and 16mm (slightly too long), so I used the 16mm with a nut. Problem solved but the screws are protuberant so one has to be careful with them.

I’m pretty satisfied with the results : the whole depth is exactly 50cm, and it’s 38cm tall.
I feel it’s best to play standing up but sitting down should be ok (though manipulating the OT that way might get tiresome.)
Time will tell :slight_smile:

I had bought 2 boards but ended using only one, so I guess I can still build 2 sets of 2 tier cheeks with it when I’ll have the Elektron Quadrinity and Quintinity (I know I’ll end up with all Elektron boxes anyways, it’s just a matter of time :stuck_out_tongue: )
The only thing I don’t know is which will come first, the MonoMachine or the Analog Rytm.

Feel free to comment or ask any question :slight_smile:
Costo.

nice!

That is awesome!

I am tempted to try something like this!
Can you tell us the detailed mesures of one of those cheeks?

Congratulations! Great work!

Cheers
Gonçalo

sweeeet!

looks fantastic, the color of the wood came out really well!

looks sturdy and trusty … very nice build dude! good job!

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t have measurements for this, because I never drew any plans, always working straight on the material (acrylic or wood).

They’re obviously based around the standard Elektron box size : 17.5 x 4.5cm, and I used an angle of 18.5° between them (but could have been 20° or 15°, that was totally arbitrary)
In paper, cut 2 or 3 rectangles with those dimensions, play around with them.
When you’re happy with the layout, trace it on the wood board with a pencil…
Toy with it, visualize it in your mind.
When you’re “sure” you like it, cut away…

That way, you’re sure to have your own design based on your own feeling.
And if you’ve got the tools (or have access to them), it’s very cheap, the biggest investment is time, so if you don’t like it over time, you can always start over.

Cheers !