DIY effect board

Hi,
I was thinking that it might be fun to solder a diy effects pedal for my synths. I don’t know to what extent pedals can be used for guitars as well. Anyhow. Are there any good starting point. I was thinking of buying some “space” echo reverb and see if I can assemble it. I have a solder, etc. Any tips welcome. It’s just for hobby. And want to try whether it’s fun or not

Start simple, and if you’re in Europe, Musikding are really great.

1 Like

This. And affordable too.

1 Like

Musikding is a great place to start.
Try one of their own kits before getting into the more advanced (and more expensive) ones by other developers, e.g. the The Bluelay - Delay kit, 23,50 € is an ideal first pedal.
I started with The Rat - Distortion kit, 25,00 € – it went great and sounds fantastic.

1 Like

Thanks for advice guys. I actually meant to type: are pedals suitable for synths?

Btw: any such addresses in Netherlands? For diy stuff?

They’ll work for sure, it may sound better with a DI or reamp box, but not essential by any means. Of course you can always modify the build to suit.
Musikding is based in Germany, there’s prob Dutch suppliers but they won’t have the range of Musikding, it’s highly regarded for a reason. Happy building!

Thanks! I ordered a few. Sending stuff to NL from GR is not too much of a hassle. It is like sending to your own country. Although trading with UK (due to brexit) is not really possible anymore

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in Ireland and there’s lots of cool small UK businesses that I just can’t deal with anymore, a real shame.

Depending on the pedal kit you may have to modify it slightly for line level (synth output) use but that will most likely just involve changing the value of a resistor or two, no actual mods to the board etc. you’ll prob find loads of info for that sort of mod, especially as it will have been done before by other users if that particular pedal kit doesn’t like a line level input

But yeah, you can deffo use pedals with a synth, it can really make your synth sing or growl!

1 Like