DMX Krew Live with an MPC 1000. How?

Hi there,

I’m curious if anybody knows how such an Electro Live set may be setup and played with an MPC 1000.

It seems like he launches parts of songs by pushing pads, but it there such a thing as launching samples quantized to the beat on the MPC 1000? If not, I guess he’s either a ninja (why not), or more muting/unmuting parts of a sequence.

Just curious, if anyone knows/has insights.

3 Likes

It seems like he’s muting/unmuting or changing sequences

5 Likes

Very cool… little repetitive :joy:

That’s the style yeah :wink:

I like his music and craft.

2 Likes

Could be yes.

He uses the MPC to sequence all his studio gear according to this

Id say if the MPC is capable of holding 8 bar stems, he’s probably got the drums as one shots all sequenced on the MPC, then firing off 8 bar loops. Plus a wee 303 on the side so he doesnt get bored.

4 Likes

Yes pretty sure he‘s playing loops from his tracks

loved that. Was listening two this two times already :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here’s a more recent set

https://www.youtube.com/live/GuQ60ZlYDlo?feature=share

5 Likes

That is a great set, as usual with Ed, I bet setting all that up on the MPC was a task given the memory constraints and file management.

4 Likes

he knows the machine well… so can make it do what he wants but yeah… lot’s of muting unmuting.

i aw Mike Paradinas (uziq) play live w/an MPC3000 + mixer and he was awesome. it was for the Lunar Astronomy tour and he killed it. played all those tracks and some other unreleased stuff and classics. was inspiring.

2 Likes

As long as you plan it out it’s very doable. MPC1000 memory is limited but if you’re not using long phrase samples and just a handful of 1-shot drum kits (instead of loops) you’d be surprised how far you can take it, especially if you don’t have a lot of layers to the tracks.

You can pretty much perform everything from the track mute screen where you can mute/unmute tracks and select which pattern is playing next. And since you’ve got 4 banks of 16 pads (each representing a track or sound depending on what screen you’re in) you’re basically working in a minimal “ableton clips” way. The JJOS will also allow you to mute sounds in a track, not just the entire track.

1 Like

interesting that in both sets he’s just using the stereo outs of the MPC to the DJ mixers. I’m not a DJ mixer expert but both seemed to have per-track effects. individual outs from the MPC could’ve gotten more mileage out of those. not that the sets sucked without that, of course!

Watched it at the right time :grimacing:

2 Likes

The hardest part about JJOS is deciphering the manual lol, but once you figure out where everything is its a super powerful machine

2 Likes

I read somewhere that Ed is not even using JJOS.

…he’s using the mute page and/or the next sequence page…
song editor might run in background…what he’s doing with the parameter sliders on mpc’s left hand side could be anything…
no in sync sample playing here…it’s more activate/deactivate, mute/unmute, next to come on one stuff…
…he got adittional single outs also routed to the dj mixer and uses it’s on board mixer fx…
303ish synth lines might trigger on it’s own content, is synced up to the mpc, but also could recieve it’s midi content from the mpc…

so no big ninja moves or fingerdrumming skills needed…“just” good preparation…and good use of safe workflow options…which are all also available in the “original” akai os…so also no jjos needed here…

wanna add…all very nice use and proof of oldschool one shot samples driven by the best non step hw sequencer out there…

4 Likes