Does Overbridge warrant buying a Mac?

I use my AR as my audio interface, and I don’t use OB. It’s enough for my needs.

1 Like

then if @carvingcode does not need to record individual tracks and don’t care for the editing software, you have everything you need to record your jams on your iPad! no need for OB :wink:

1 Like

I’m curious: If using a USB hub and not OB, will the AR and A4 show up separately in a DAW?

OB offers you the ability to use your Elektron boxes within a DAW. If you don’t work in a DAW, you don’t need DAW integration.

You have to choose your audio interface and I don’t think iPad supports aggregated audio interfaces so I think the answer is no.
On a mac, you can create aggregates but there’s no point for that. OB allows you to use all of them at the same time, in a DAW or not.

1 Like

whatever you do - don’t buy a mac until the new ones come out in November - if you’re talking about getting a laptop. The new ones look like they will have the missing ports we need and ditch the pointless touch-bar, and the old ones will get cheaper because of that.

Depends what you want, if you want to move your processing and mixing back into the box, so you have a lot more options in applying effects-per-channel etc - and are willing to give up a lot of on-the-machines-themselves-controls - then sure.

As a magic bullet for getting multitracked recordings out of your machines and into the computer to work on further, I would say - no. The fact that things like panning (per trig condition) dont “work” and the effects are separated out from the individual just makes it not that useful for that purpose.

Overbridge can give a lot, but you have to be willing to give up some of the things that make these boxes so appealing.

4 Likes

oh the fx! you’re so right about that!
Many times I wished there was a setting to apply the fx directly on the track. when a patch is all about modulating a send fx with LFOs and it’s all lost is a drag.

2 Likes

Having an ARM-based macbook with 20hrs+ battery time is what warrants buying a Mac these days. :wink:

Re Overbridge, I don’t use it AT ALL, and I own a Macbook as well as a whole bunch of Elektron gear.

I’d say if you don’t see a specific use case with Overbridge that piques your interest, don’t bother with it.

3 Likes

…without any hussel…ob worx pretty fine, since ages indeed, if u ONLY use it as a stand alone recorder…
and then just import ur stems into the daw of ur choice…

no all size all brands all at once on all configuration realtime integration = no frustration…
…simple equasion… :wink:

in fact, future plans how to back out and slim down were discussed behind developers closed curtains of gaining frustration, already since day one, once realising that ob, that great idea, will end up as a to huuuuuuge and almost impossible to fulfil promise end of all days…

which was leading to “…took a little longer…” ob t shirts in the meantime…

I would say no. And I say this is a lifetime Mac user. Overbridge just does not work as expected. There are issues with the Digitakt and Digitone not responding to DAW Sync: Clock Start & Stop. I find myself having to constantly reload the plug-in every few minutes to keep a connection.

I don’t know if this is an issue with new Macs/latest OS as others running older Macs/older OS seem to be ok.

In all honesty, Overbridge 2.0 is a joke, after waiting months for M1/Big Sur compatibility, it just doesn’t work.

1 Like

I opted against buying a Mac for OB. Thanks for the help all.

1 Like

As a Mac user for about eight years, using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Overbridge has been hassle free. I have an Ableton Live template set up so that the DT and DN are piping their individual tracks, neatly grouped together, into my default project. I don’t use Live to automate internal parameters, I just use it to stream the audio, and it’s been perfect. I could do without it - in fact I am going to be doing just that as recently acquired an OT - but it’s really nifty.

1 Like