Doug Mckechnie Interview

One of the og Moog pioneers had an interesting article written up about him over on Music Radar. Talks about life as a synth addict at the young age of 81. Also a bit about his release on VG+ Records. Doug living the dream.

6 Likes

I initially read this thread title as, “Doug McKenzie Interview”

7 Likes

I have the vinyl version of San Francisco Moog 1968-1972. It’s a fascinating - if somewhat crude - document. I think the comparisons to Tangerine Dream are a bit off-base. A 960 sequencer pretty much spits out those sorts of sequences by default. I think Mckechnie’s music is stylistically closer to Mother Mallard by way of the Trips Festival. There is a certain free-form lunacy in play. If anything, I’d suggest it is far closer to T.O.N.T.O’s Expanding Headband than it is to any Berlin School record.

That notwithstanding, it’s a great record and well worth picking up.

2 Likes

Have you ever seen this behemoth of a machine in person? It’d be a dream to check that out…

2 Likes

No, I’ve not had that pleasure. I wish!

2 Likes

how to properly lead a double life.

4 Likes

Yes, and it is glorious.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, where TONTO currently lives at the National Music Center. I’ve had the chance to hear it played live a few times, and it’s quite the experience

My dream is to perform live with it. Some day… Some day.

2 Likes

Homeboy is actually a spy. Just been living that double life really well and his cover story took over. He went too deep!

2 Likes

instead of spies like us it’s spies like acid.

or donald sutherland like us.

or donald sutherland likes acid?

3 Likes

Or acid likes acid

Or…or o…r…why are my hands vibrating? Is that tree breathing?

3 Likes