Drambo (iOS)

Drambo updated to appear as MIDI Effect in Cubasis - woooo! Modular Elektron sequencer in my favorite iOS DAW.

1 Like

Yeah… but the bummer is that Cubasis can‘t handle midi very well

All drambo tracks send on the same midi channel, no matter what you specify in the drambo midi out module…

Same with fuguemachine. Steinberg really needs to sort this out. Midi needs some more love in cubasis. It‘s also driving me nuts that you can‘t specify a channel and port for midisync… it‘s always blasting out midisync on every midi port connected

That may be true, but I have to work with what I’ve got and what I’ve got the time for. I would love to have one instance of Drambo sending on multiple MIDI channels, but I will take what I can get and have unique instances of Drambo per track. I am excited to try the update out!

If your route the midi via AudioBus it should work on a per channel basis.

2 Likes

It does but than it‘s not running as an audio unit inside cubasis. In my case I was trying to get drumbo, cubasis, sample and cycles running in sync in aum and that worked very poorly. I managed to get Drambo and Aum in sync with Cubasis via the „Midi Link Sync“ but Cubasis blasting midi sync out on all ports messed the connection to samples/cycles up.

The MIDI clock from Cubasis is awful. It used to lock up my DigiTakt. Not sure what it is sending/doing that causes so many problems.

1 Like

Might I ask why you need Cubasis in your setup? I just use Drambo in AUM driving everything…and all my Midi Data is stored in Drambo…if I want Audio Snippets and the like, I either load them direct in AUM, or just add them to Drambo as OneShots or Loops.

Honestly, with Drambo and AUM, you really shouldn’t need Cubasis…but everyone’s workflow is different.

Could you elaborate a bit on your preferred workflow…and I might be able to offer up a couple solutions for you.

Cheers!

Easy answer: mulitrack recording and occasional piano roll stuff and easy editing of more complete song structures than just jamming. It‘s nice to have everything on grid in cubasis for punch in recordings and I really enjoy parts editing on the cubasis touch interface.
In the creative phase I don‘t really need it but for the recording phase it‘s the best tool I found for the ipad.

I built a small secondary studio space on the country side with a small mixer, motu m4 and very few synths, it turned out the be a really productive environment for me.
The really cool thing about cubasis is that I can import the recordings into cubase pro in my city place for mixing.

1 Like

Gotcha…how are you wanting to use Drambo in this setup then? Are you wanting it to do the sequencing of your soft synths in Cubasis?

If so, you can achieve this if you use Audiobus to perform the routing for you. FWIW, I just tested it by placing Drambo as the Midi sequencer, and Cubasis as the Midi Receiver in AB, and then added 3 instruments in Cubasis assigned to Channels 1-3, and set up Drambo with 3 Midi Out devices corresponding to those channels.

I then create sequences on those 3 Drambo devices and pressed record in Cubasis and my Notes were captured in Cubasis.

Here’s a snapshot of the setup:

1 Like

I don‘t use any softsynths in cubasis and I don’t really want to record midi, just audio but on grid in cubasis.‘s . I use drambo as a midi sequencer for shruti, crave and other hardware stuff and use some audio modules.The problem isn‘t drambo, it‘s cubasis. I haven‘t found a stable way of syncing cubasis with the rest, especially cycles/samples via audiobus or aum.
Cubasis lacks Ableton link and can only sent out midisync (not receive). But the really bad thing is that there is no way of specifying the output port for the sync and therefore no way of midifiltering… so the system sends out 2 midiclocks, one from aum and one from cubasis and that completly wacks the timing

The other solution would be to circumfent aum completly and just use cubasis but cubasis can‘t handle different midi channels on an audio unit track.

There are a few workarounds to get the results I want (separate audiotracks on grid) but I am a lazy guy.

Sorry if this clutters the drambo thread because drambo itself is a very fine piece of software.

1 Like

Gotcha. Have you tried placing Cubasis inside of AudioBus and have Audiobus set the Clock for everything? Audiobus supports Ableton Link.

2 Likes

Yeah… tried everything.
Cubase is a diva… won‘t start. Wants to be master.
The „midi link sync“ app is really nice to make a stable sync between audiobus/aum and cubasis but as soon as you need to sync something out of the box it won‘t work.
In theory it might be possible to filter just every first or second clock event but neither midiflow nor midihub offer such an option

1 Like

Bummer. You could always capture your STEMS in AUM, or Drambo, but I understand the desire to keep things in Cubasis.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Octatrack!! - not mine though - original by Riley Shaw - max kudos…

7 Likes

Nice! I actually bought a crossfader to do something similar. This is motivating me to finish that project :slight_smile:

Awesome update yesterday… Drambo now has a Wavetable oscillator along with two wavetable effects for filtering and phase distortion. You can import your own wavetables in the Serum format. It’s a $5 IAP.

5 Likes

allright guys, things are about to get mindbendingly good soon:

10 Likes

Awesome. Im too noob to build my own patches but this + digitakt could be tons of fun

1 Like

:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

My hobbies include; Painting, long walks and checking the App Store for Drambo updates :rofl:

I can’t wait for this to happen.

5 Likes