Drambo (iOS)

Doh! Never mind, just discovered the Multi-bus Audio Unit at the bottom of the input sources!

Some more fun with Electronisounds Infinite Inspiration SamplePack in Drambo:

3 Likes

Does this faderfox require a powered cck, or ipads lightning port supply enough juice?

No, doesn’t need power…works with just the CCK. Draws very little power, you can use it for a long time if your iPad is charged

Yeah. I found though that with my iPad (6th gen) plugged in using just Drambo with the UC4 (via CCK) that it wasn’t enough to maintain the charge level. Maybe my charger is a bit weedy.

@drewinnit do you know of a workaround to map modulation to parameters in Drambo modules that aren’t directly modulatable? Does that make sense? Example: the Loop Start and Loop End parameters in the Flexi Sampler. I was thinking of somehow connecting an LFO->MIDI CC Generator->MIDI Out (internal) and then use the MIDI mapping to long-windedly connect an LFO to the Loop Start/End but you can only learn the MIDI mappings by physically turning external MIDI controls as opposed to sort of typing in the Channel and CC number you want a control mapped to. If that makes sense :rofl:

I’m pretty sure that this can be done with scenes & crossfader.

Yes… that is what you would have.

I’ve only used Drambo on my iPad Pro. It is a solid, even excellent app. After a while I stopped using it cause while it is a pretty good workflow for simple stuff, start getting more complex and I find it bogs down really fast.

On my Macs I use Bitwig as my DAW and Bitwig is faster and easier to use as a Groovebox than Drambo… and more capable too.

1 Like

I haven’t explored this very deeply, but there are some tips here:

Out of curiosity how was it getting bogged down?

I’ve run it with 8+ instruments with tons of effects and LFOs. I have yet to have it big down. I am using an iPad Pro 2018 though and have been super happy with it.

I use tons of AUv3 synths and effects in Drambo and it just keeps playing and rocking for me and others.

1 Like

Modulate them with an LFO though?

‘Host Drambo inside Drambo…’

Mind fucking blown.

Yeah, not suren what your doing. Youd have to explain or screenshot your setup a bit more.

I have more modern ipads, but like echo ooera, i still have 0 issues with 8+ older ipads. Thinks i create on my ipad mini5 ooen and run fine in my friends air 2/3

It’s gets a bit messy.

Haha I bet! :rofl:

The guy’s idea of piping MIDI out of Drambo into AUM (or was it AudioBus?) is a great solution.

I meant bogged down in the workflow sense (within Drambo), not in the CPU sense.

Start combining your commonly use combinations and saving them as instruments. If youre starting froma blank slate everytime, yeah it becomes cumbersome.

Ahh gotcha. This is the beauty of Instrument and Effects and Midi Racks. Once you have a device the way you like it just save it as a Preset to recall at a later date. It speeds up the workflow and is like BitWig and Ableton devices IMHO. Helps when you want to step in to flow and not rebuild things.

Tons of really cool devices and such here:

2 Likes

I love Drambo, but it definitely bogs down for me. But I have a custom starter template with hundreds of modules, multiple instances of Saturn 2, and am running TouchOSC alongside with splitscreen. So I’m not especially surprised. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m running an iPad Air 4 (2020).

Wow. Way too much going on. Hahah no wonder it bogs down.

I always build up rather than start with everything. It allows me to evolve and grow into the song or beat i am making. I never know what i want to do until i sit down to compose.

Less is more school of thought. Constraints always being a good thing.

2 Likes