Drambo (iOS)

there are video tutorials above, which explains this. (or link to the playlist)

make sure to watch the connections tutorial, it is really clever

if there is a little grey triangle left to a parameter, you can automate it.

drag a lfo module before the filter module and then you will be able to connect them… hold a parameter and options will appear… if connected, a little extra lfo depth control will pop up next to it

1 Like

The LFO need to be placed before the filter (i think).
Click on cutoff for example, this will show modulation source on the other modules on the left.
Click the sine wave sign on the lfo module.
This will connect the lfo cv output to the cutoff.

Took me a little time to understand but its brillant ! Also if you want to insert a module between a module just pull the module (where you want to insert something) a little bit to the left and the menu will appear.

3 Likes

AUv3 plugins should always follow their host’s clock, just like VSTs on the desktop.
Slaving to MIDI Clock and Start/Stop does work with Drambo AU hosted inside of Audiobus 3 or apeMatrix.
Don’t expect rock-solid sync on iOS/iPadOS, only a few apps do, and that’s usually when run standalone, i.e. Grooverider GR-16.
And of course it depends on your MIDI interface, audio buffer/latency settings, etc.

There is a nice explainer, “help”, when you tap on the module’s title.

1 Like

It’s a fantastic app. I thought this would finally be the app that let the iPad “replace” a Digitakt (if only for playing on the sofa instead of in the studio).

But it takes so much tweaking to get it going. It’s definitely more Octatrack than Digitakt in this regard. Super-powerful, but you have to spend a lot of time configuring it first.

On the other hand, it’s possible to save modules, so perhaps all the work is up front, and then you can just make music?

(I do like it a lot)

2 Likes

yes, it definetely shines more with flexibility than simplicity!

but for the level of freedom and complexity it is already very streamlined, clean and has a logical and visually pleasing structure, i think.

it is almost like you could design your own grooveboxes. or modules for voices / tracks of that groovebox, that can be loaded as needed. and all tracks polyphonic. man, this has potential… makes me use the ipad again for music stuff, which i had not done in a while…

1 Like

I finally dove into a YouTube introduction to the app and the workflow is really easy to grasp and intuitive.

This is going to be the app that brings me back to iOS.

I haven’t been this delighted by an app since gadget

2 Likes

indeed, this is pretty crazy.
For quick handson groovebox fun grooverider might be better suited for me. Sometimes it‘s nice to just have some macro controls

You should post that on the BeepStreet Drambo forum! I have same problem sometimes and I am using 10.5 iPad.

1 Like

It seems like working with instrument presets is the way to go. I‘ve just rebuild a sampler with basic Digitakt functionality (plus an added HP as a bonus :wink: ) and using this for all my drum / one shot needs works like a charm.

This is my first evening with Drambo and i think i might be falling for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might I ask how you rebuilt the sampler to be like a digitakt?

1 Like

This was on audiobus forum

4 Likes

Thanks for the comments and views and enjoying my little explorations of Drambo.

Tonight i had a little bit of a breakthrough…the embedded track really feels like the kind of music i always imagined myself playing on my OctaTrack, but never quite had the patience or knowledge to create. But tonight…tonight some weird portal opened up while using Drambo, and a past vision of that type of music manifested itself within Drambo.

Big thanks to BeepStreet for giving me a tool to realize the music in my head and spirit perfectly.:facepunch:t3:

Hope you enjoy the tunnel :grin:

16 Likes

That is really nice. Enjoyed that!

I had a couple of hours with Drambo yesterday evening and I really like it. I think I understand the workflow and its pretty well thought of. Its a bit of the same as I use my modular. I would like to see more patching possibilities but I think its a matter of time to get implemented (I hope) I can see the similarities with OT, DT and modular. Its fun to use. Will upload some tunes soon…

Sure! I basically just mashed together an instrument rack with the basic options that my DT offers with a few Additions. Here‘s a screenshot of the modules i used:

I have all my drum samples sorted by Kick, Snare, Hat, etc. in different Folders. So i just pointed each sampler Module to one of the folders which gives me a huge selection of kicks which can be P-locked through Drambos Keys.

That‘s my most basic setup right now. Nothing fancy. :wink:

edit: Sure there are some things still missing, like the LFO, the bitcrusher and distortion. I‘ve skipped these on purpose to keep it slim.

9 Likes

Allright, here is mine…
It was a lot of fun making this song. I tried to use the crossfader like on the octatrack. Didn’t use any samples yet. I need to look into that first…

11 Likes

Ok…who needs lunch? Wolfed it down to try a couple of Techniques I learned from Ben’s great Drambo videos. In this little study I am using the Per Step Sample Start trick and the Scene Morph tool. FWIW, this little track uses the exact same setup/instruments as the Distant Tunnels track I posted earlier above.

Drambo is for Real!!!
Hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is it only a step sequencer or is there a realtime/pattern record option for sequencing ?

Thanks !

You can record in real time from the built in keyboard, or an external keyboard.

1 Like

Thanks !
Decided to go all in, building a complete recording IOS setup just purchased :
-Impulsation
-Audioshare
-AUM
-Nanostudio 2 (to replace BM3 , maybe …)
-Virsyn reverb
-Klevgrand GotoeQ
Then this comes along :scream: not saying my OTMKII is going anywhere but … :thinking:

2 Likes