Dreadbox HADES opinion

Still waiting for more demos but this will have to do for now. They have the drive turned up for most of the demo though and it still doesn’t cover enough for me to get a proper idea.
Come on Nick… We need a Sonicstate review!

@Tchu posted this tune which features Hades on bass in another thread. It sounds fantastic.

6 Likes

Anything in particular you want demod? I got (possibly the first!) DIY model last month and have jammed on it a bit.

I’m no Nick Batt but if you have anything specific I’m happy to look.

The only stuff I’ve uploaded with it so far are acid lines (which it does very well).

(Just listened Tchu’s track above, sounds great :ok_hand:)

1 Like

Thank you @Annihilation_Squares, that’s very kind of you! :heart::pray:

Thanks @natehorn! :heart::pray:

3 Likes

Some sound demos in here which definitely demo its character - just dropped:

3 Likes

Wow. Some really lovely sounds here. Thank you.

I’ve just bought a Grandmother and an Erica 3109 VCF recently but this is still pretty damn tempting.

1 Like

This sounds way better than I expected. I’ll have to try one out when I visit perfect circuit this week if they have one!

1 Like

How’s the Tune on your Hades? Mine’s at one and a half line to the left with a full warm up.

1 Like

Both my Hades and Erebus are tuned perfectly … but that’s because I tuned them :joy: As it happens I had to do the Hades twice because the trimmers didn’t have enough turns in them (if I’d stuck with the first tune, my knob would have been a quarter turn to the left). I had to contact Dreadbox about it. Repeating the process allowed me to get it spot on though.

So if you’re up for re-tuning it that should be resolvable! The instructions are in the DIY guide on the Dreadbox website.

What you have is probably the closest they could get to center on the first attempt - I suspect doing multiple tunes on each build isn’t practical for them. I bet they just missed during testing that these trimmer adjusters are a tiny bit too limited.

It’s such a sleeper synth - it has magic powers!

2 Likes

I will need a multimeter to do this? Ok, kind of a bummer. How many times have you done it to be perfectly In Tune? Thanks.

It only needed a second tune to resolve that issue - didn’t have the issue with the Erebus. My multimeter is only a cheap one and I got the tracking spot on - I don’t have any special gear for that stuff.

I could try and explain the cause of the issue but I fear I’d introduce more confusion…

Might be worth contacting Dreadbox just in case they suggest something else before you go through that - they’re quick to respond.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @natehorn.

1 Like

I’m not sure how the calibration pots work outside of calibration mode, but technically you might be able to just adjust the ‘Tune’ pot, it might be a quick job.

Here’s DIY manual that has the tuning guide if you do need it. It’s only the second part you need to redo but I don’t think there’s a way to skip the first bit!

2 Likes

So, I will have to do the 12 steps of the Step 7 - Tuning?

:+1: Although my hope would be that there’s a way to adjust the tuning without having to recalibrate.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll contact Dreadbox. Thank you so much for your help. I’ve already check for a multimeter on Amazon.

1 Like

I too bought the kit and I can tell you that it took quite some time to get it tuned up. I suppose tuning every one by hand could create quite the bottleneck when producing these things en masse. I hope you get ‘er sorted with a minimum of hassle @Tchu!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Annihilation_Squares!

I assume the position of the Tune knob is important if you want to pass quickly to an Octave up or down but I don’t see in the manual if it’s the case meaning does the Tune knob go from -12 to +12 (or is it in v/oct)?

the tune knob goes a 5th up and a 5th down.

1 Like