Dreadbox HADES opinion

I’ve heard it and it blows me away … any users aronud here who have used it with… maybe via CV with the A4/AK ?

1 Like

Hi

I got the Dreadbox Hades in the studio and I have to say I really like the filter. It´s so raw and a bit screaming. I would say more MS-20 style than Moog.

What do you guys think about it?

best
tomas

2 Likes

Dunno about Hades but i got Dreadbox Nyx and based on pure tone and Filter, it’s the best thing my studio (Rytm, Octatrack,Digitone,Dominion 1) has to offer.

There is just something wonderful in Dreadbox VCO’s so I guess the Hades sounds just as beautiful as all the other Dreadbox stuff.

2 Likes

I have the Hades module, currently being controlled by the CV/gate out of an Analog 4; it’s got a great sound, and both the different osc and filter types are very nice, and the two subs are lovely, as is the PWM. I find the sound it makes quite gritty and able to make itself heard in any mix, though getting the osc to track properly can be a bit of a fiddle sometimes with the A4.

1 Like

Update: having played about with a little more on a bassline I’ve been working on, and comparing it alongside a Frostwave resonator being CV-controlled as a bass rather than an MS-20 filter, I would compare the sound of the Hades more to the Roland SH-1, if anything, with those nicely snarling harmonic overtones easily mixed in or out at will, with or without the overdrive.

Looking to pick one of these up, anybody seen one on their travels?

Couple of weeks here‘s been a thread about some hades sellings …

1 Like

I‘ve done this as a DIY project,
Straight forward through hole pcbs :wink:

My experience is that the fine tune knob is very sensitive,
having some 440Hzs to tune everytime is my advice!
I‘m not a fan of these MS20 waspy filter types, but it‘s ok …
Having multiple LP and a HP style filter is cool for that prize!
External in while triggering for little FM joy :wink:

At the end i‘m using it in my rack,
the MIDI conversion lacks and it‘s def. quicker over CVs and gates or a qicker MIDI to CV converter.
My doepfer MIDI to CV works fine with DT and it‘s awesomely sexy to have plocks and conditional trigs inside modular stuff :heart_eyes:

I‘m fine with hades and as i realised the DIY version got some more features…
Lot of power - affordable cash

So… I noticed the Hades reissue is now available. Anyone taken the plunge? I’m on a quest for snappy, Roland SH style bass and I keep coming back to this little bloke.
I had the original a few years ago and remember loving the solid tone but there were a couple of “gotchas” which resulted in me selling it. Though now I can’t remember what they were. Possibly the lack of legato which I think has now been remedied.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve had my eye on this one for a while. Tried to get a kit but it sold out before I could unfortunately. Honestly I’m kind of waiting for it to get to the more local synth shops (perfect circuit, patchwerks) the only place I’m seeing it in stock is at sweatwater. I’m kinda curious if it receives velocity via MIDI. I’m assuming it does but haven’t seen it specifically mentioned in the manual online.

Dreadbox on my wish list along with a good VA poly synth for house and trance sounds.

1 Like

Sold out already. Limited to 100 pcs. :frowning:

Had one sitting on my shelf for too long…
The sound didn’t convince me that much if I have to be honest. I think it’s a rather limited synth as far as sound options go.
I can’t sell it tho it’s a borrowed from a friend years ago…

3 Likes

Pretty sure that’s just the kit. At least 2 stores in Australia have the pre-built version in stock.

1 Like

Oh ok. I just checked out the europe stores and on the Dreadbox site it said sold out.

Yes, on the website that’s referring to the DIY version. The pre-built version says “available December”.

1 Like

Building the 2022 Hades DIY reissue:

Robin has a corresponding video for the Erebus DIY kit too. Great stuff, as (I found) the construction manual is a tiny bit confusing in a couple places.

3 Likes

He has a couple of good Dysmetria kit videos as well.

I’m still in the honeymoon phase with my Hades but I dig it quite a bit. It’s going to eventually end up in a shootout with the Minitaur though. Two synths enter, one synth leaves.

6 Likes

Ordered mine the other day as they are now in stock at Perfect Circuit. Super pumped! Especially as people are comparing it to the Minitaur.

I want to get one… but I already have a Typhon still in the box and Pro3, I should wait for the next Dreadbox poly. The Hades looks like awesome competition for the Minotaur. We need more mythical named synths!

1 Like