Dreadbox Medusa

Hey there everyone ! I recently discovered a nice option on the Medusa and made a short video about it. Hopefully it will be of some help or inspire a few of you:

5 Likes

Good stuff, purchased :slightly_smiling_face:

Love my Medusa :brown_heart:

1 Like

Lovely, thanks for sharing :v:

1 Like

Medusa in ā€œChannel per Voiceā€ mode controled via the Tracker is chiptune heaven :

4 Likes

Back on the Medusa for a tutorial about how I use the ā€œVoice Per Channelā€ option with the Tracker :

2 Likes

I bought the original version early on and now I have the latest, new look version and I could compare the two right next to each other. I was also like, I like the original graphics better, especially the Medusa logo although this blackout with the minimalistic design looked cool too but I did not feel like switching.
My original unit has given up but Polyend support is indeed fantastic, although it took 2 trips, I got a brand new replacement unit. The original had more like a bit of blueish, greyish hint to it and it was a shiny finish, this new one is solid dark black and it is more of a powder coat finish. It feels more quality, also the build quality seems a bit better on the new one to me, the tuning issues are gone. I knew the Medusa wasnā€™t really finished when I originally invested in it but I really liked the concept. It has matured since then quite a bit, the firmware is much better, there are good presets now and they lowered the price so it is now a really solid offering (even the packaging got better).
The sequencer is not an Elektron sequencer, I donā€™t think you can expect that from it but you can have fun with it, it can do a lot of things. I like that you can record one button chords or place filter variations on the grid and play with it live. I am happy with the grid being on the left side and I am right handed, there is nothing wrong with it.
Online demos donā€™t really do it justice and the patchstorage only has like one bank available so this @colectivo_triangular sound pack is very welcomed, even if it is a paid option. It needs a bit of reverb and you are good to go.

4 Likes

Does anyone used it as a MPE controller? If used we an desktop synth module can we map the x-axis motion to bend, y-axis to modulation and z-axis to velocity when used as a midi controller with the grid?

I am really digging the Medusa to be one of the center of my rig used as is or with external synth but I donā€™t see a lot of information about it used an midi/mpe controller? Is the midi implementation solid (in and out) and can we tweak it? Someone as tested the local off from the last firmware?

That piece of gear is one of its kind.

EDIT: A question about the grid layout and chromatic, is it possible to have a full 4-octave range in a way or the others with the various layout?

2 Likes

Does anyone have the decksaver for their Medusa? I recently put slightly taller knobs on mine and would like to figure out how much clearance there is before I spend the money.

I carry mine around quite a bit and a cover would make things much easier!

Btw, the replacement knobs are tall Sifam and they feel really good and are much easier to see imo.

2 Likes

On the Medusa, can you control the channel differently? Like can I have 1 oscillator being controlled alone, then have 2 oscillator controlled together, then 3 as a group, for a total of 6, or there is only the choice to do all, or 3x2 or 6x1 ?

On the device itself (using the grid) you only have the 3 modes: M, P1 and P2.
If youā€™re using MIDI you can control each oscillator independently on a separate channel.

[EDIT]: Reading your question again, the answer is no.
Itā€™s voice per channel and thatā€™s it.
Youā€™ll have to configure your DAW or sequencer to do different types of voice grouping.

2 Likes

I pulled the trigger on the Limited Edition Medusa! :grinning:

It should be delivered before the New Year. I canā€™t wait to use it alongside Bitwig The Grid. Iā€™ll be watching all of the tutorials until then.

5 Likes

Just got one about a month ago and I must say itā€™s pretty awesome. Having fun with Medusa and tracker.

1 Like

Niceeee. Doubling down on the Polyend gear, then! Iā€™ve been looking for a decent controller (Iā€™m no keyboard player, grew up on guitar/bass). This fitted the bill with the bonus of being a great synth :slight_smile:

congrats. its so good :raised_hands:

1 Like

Iā€™m not set up to make a video right now, but hereā€™s a cool trick with Medusa Iā€™d like to share:

*Create a sequence of any length (shorter works better)

*Go to grid mode and enter at least 1 parameter lock on each step (wonā€™t work with no existing locks)

*Create randomized parameters on the unused squares of the grid

*Enable record mode and press play

*Perform by pressing the randomized parameter squares youā€™ve created while the sequencer plays

*The performed parameter locks will be recorded into sequencer!

Caveats:

*Results are rather inconsistent, ymmv. But the unpredictability is whatā€™s cool about this technique!

*Donā€™t count on it sounding the same if you stop the sequencer and start it again. Best record the results immediately if you come up with something worth keeping.

:v:t3:

5 Likes

Just came to mind today:

Polyend Medusa as an Ableton Live controller

Is it hard to implement just a clip launch grid controller with moving focus, visulization on the grid itself (playing blinking/stopped/empty), midi notes / drum rack trigger?

How? Max4Live?

I would definitely use it and a lot!

Any thoughts?

Medusa has really nice drone / latch modeā€¦ Have anyone seen something similar on any other hardware synth or better - midi controller?

1 Like

Not that I know on midi controllers but a lot of old poly synth (and probably recents as well) have this same playing option. I use it quite a lot of my JX3P.

1 Like

QuNexus has a Toggle mode. Useful for drones.

2 Likes

Yes, but what I like about Medusaā€™s mode - you can see what notes are playing and visually ā€œcomposeā€ pieces by muting/unmuting playing pads. Never seen that before I guess! Also in poly mode voice allocation always change / rotate oscilators, makes it even more interesting.

Wondering, why thereā€™s no such a mode in Ableton Push (yeah, possible to program with 64 midi clips for each note butā€¦ ) such a lovely controller with absolutely no cool featuresā€¦

1 Like