Dreadbox Medusa

I’ve been beta testing this new version for a few weeks, the FM mode is really a nice touch. I’ll make a video about it for next week.

2 Likes

07/04/2021 OLSZTYN, POLAND: known for bringing new technologies to creative musicians by building innovative and unique musical instruments, Polyend announces a major Medusa v4.0 firmware update which times up with the discontinuation of the Medusa Hybrid Synth production. The Medusa has played a very special role in Polyend growth and maturing, and its maintenance and technical support will be continued. New firmware release brings some serious feature updates among the general improvements:

• A new, fourth, play mode. A gritty 6-voice 3-operator digital FM synth engine with a 12-bit colored classic vibe. It supports five digital FM Algorithms and an extra analog voice. Comes with a new FM preset bank!
  • Improved Channel per Voice mode where each channel is now truly “per voice”, and not “per oscillator” as previously,
  • Added MIDI Program Change for better control of the synth,
  • Reworked pitch bend and glide for more musical output,
  • Full LFO Synchronization with MIDI Clock with increased stability,
  • And other fixes,
    Find and download the Medusa official v4.0 firmware with the detailed change log at polyend.com
    Medusa v4.0:
    Firmware Manual Addendum. Digital FM synthesis tutorial video. Presets Video.
    MIDI Program Change video.
3 Likes

So it’s the end of Medusa production? Maybe mkII is on the way?

Still a few very important things missed in the update… :frowning:

Sounds like they might have some software update. I am not sure how long they would keep on updating it though. Definitely would see a few thing being fixed and improved…

I’m surprised by this update , good to see them developing it

I suspect mk2 would feature fx from typhon ( polyend , sinevibes and dreadbox ).

And a bit more development on the grid , I always felt the sequencer was a bit lacking in quirkyness.

It’d be great to see a hybrid multi-timbral medusa mk2.

3 Likes

A MKII with onboard Sinevibes FX would be killer. Much needed upgrade.

Also I would welcome a smaller Medusa.
Portable.
Lets say, the grid would be as small as the Polyend Tracker grid.
Form factor being just like the PT, to have them side by side like a DT/DN combo…

One can dream :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How come we’re already thinking about a MKII here? I know the more minimalist version was limited edition (they didn’t say how many were made, however, afaik) but is the original one not still in production too? Don’t get me wrong, a MKII with a bunch extra features would be cool. But maybe the collaboration and profit sharing was too much hassle for both companies and that’s that?

I thought the size was the same between limited and non limited?

It’s a charming instrument… bugs and all. :wink:

2 Likes

Yep. I meant minimalist in terms of paint job/logos/labels etc

“Polyend announces a major Medusa v4.0 firmware update which times up with the discontinuation of the Medusa Hybrid Synth production.”

In the press statement

2 Likes

Ah! Nice. Thanks for the clarification. I’m still thinking that’s it, tho. There won’t be a MKII imo

1 Like

Cool

Watched a bit of the Sonic LAB video on Polyend Tracker and was left with the impression that Polyend wants to focus its resources more on the Tracker - hence the decision to stop producing Medusa units.

No doubt I’m wrong about this

1 Like

Polyend is leaving Dreadbox to team up with Elektron to create a 24 voice, 8 part multi timbral hybrid synth. The TrackerTone. Jk. Let’s just manifest this.

4 Likes

like what?

what are your thoughts on improvements needed?

well there was a lot covered in that version 4 for sure, but I’ve always felt it would use a tiny more polyphony, so that for example a sequence could be playing on the first 3 voice and you could still play the grid with the next 3 voices, but since it’s uses the same envelope it cannot be done like that. While I can do some holds on note while playing other note as a ‘drone’ bg while playing a melody on top, I felt that it’s so close to being able to play a melody on top of a sequence. There are also a couple of weird behavior on some knob action, when using fm… nothing major thought. But I love the instrument as is too.

1 Like

I kind of like it though, I feel synth production should be limited. We don’t need an infinite amount of the same synth. That being said, I hope they’ll make sure to iron out all the bug (if there are more) in the coming year or so.