Dreadbox Typhon

Yiannis has been pretty lit on FB about the new features – he kind of alluded to it being done today, or Monday.

I feel like at least 40% of my musicianship nowadays is waiting for firmwares to drop – that’s why I just bought a new bass :smiley:

But I’m with you! This thing holds so much promise.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it, even on its own in its current state right now. It just sounds huge and lush, and it’s so easy to just sit back and play with it. The only thing holding me back from using it more is the clock. I’d love to get it synced up with the Digitakt. That’s going to be so fun!

I do love to get software/firmware updates, but I typically am not waiting for a feature like this. :smiley:

It’s such a cool little synth though, that I’m in “extra-patient” mode. Sort of.

That’s also why I’m into analog modulars as well. No firmware. Just plug things in. :wink:

4 Likes

On that same FB thread, I asked Yiannis what the tiered release date plan might be for the firmware, editor and second run of Typhons. He did say that the editor would be released after the firmware, but he hasn’t spoken about the release date for the second run, and definitely hasn’t said whether the editor or the hardware will come first.

If the editor comes last, then perhaps his plan is to include the new firmware with the new machines. That might have something to do with his loose but stated goal: to finish the firmware in a matter of days.

It just sounds huge and lush, and it’s so easy to just sit back and play with it.

:control_knobs: exactly my thinking!

…and about the possible USB noise, I fixed the issue with the highly shielded audio USB cable from DJ TechTools. Well worth the price.

3 Likes

I haven’t had any USB issues, but I started off with a pretty large power box, and the cable has a big ferrite bead at both ends. (Just happened to be the one I grabbed…)

1 Like

Dreadbox has updated the details on their site about the forthcoming firmware (publishing between Mon and Wed this week)

Firmware V2.0:

1. New features
– Added a high pass filter, accessible on the FX1 page
– New FX2 algorithm : Barber Pole Phase Shifter
– New FX2 algorithm :Granular Pitch Shifter
– New FX3 algorithm : Soft Reverb
– New FX3 algorithm : Granular Cloud Reverb
– Added a catch mode for the sliders and the knobs, now selectable from the menu
– CC now have 2 ways to be controlled, overriding and additive

2. Improvements
– FX1 page fully reworked.
– SET page fully reworked
– Added master level / preset, accessible via the SET page
– FFM (filter FM) moved from FX1 to SET page
– Added FX1 level control over the distortion algorithms
– Added FX1 mix control over the decimator
– Reverb on FX3 is now renamed to L RVRB (large reverb)
– LFO and RANDOM can now be synced to BPM
– Delay time can now be synced to BPM
– Added external MIDI clock sync + start/stop midi orders for the sequencer
– Added a full CC documentation
– Added a few shortcuts over some settings
– Global settings are now stored on power off
– Menu map fully reworked:

1. Sync options
– M1 (free, key, bpm, bpm key)
– M2 (free, key, bpm, bpm key)
– M3 (free, key, bpm, bpm key)
– FX3 (free, bpm)

2. Mod wheel (targets… 0-100)
3. Mod wheel (targets… 0-100) (assuming this duplication means one of these is probably Velocity)
4. Aftertouch (targets… 0-100)
5. Key track (targets… 0-100)
6. Pitch wheel (1-12)
7. MIDI CC

– CC2 target (targets… 0-100)
– CC handling mode (overriding or additive)
– List of CC (shows the full CC documentation)

8. Global settings
– Midi channels
– Input (1-16 or All)
– Output (through or 1-16)
– Master clock sync mode (internal or external)
– Control Handling
– Knobs (catch or jump)
– Sliders (catch or jump)
– Firmware version (should note 2.0)
– Hardware check (performs a hardware check)

3. Bug Fixes
– Fixed a bug , when setting a BPM above 133 , the clock was drifting
– Fixed a bug that caused heavy latency to the midi input (around 15ms)

They’ve also added what is coming before the end of the year (in my browsers this is difficult to unfold, some bad CSS at play. So I use Safari Develop mode to see the page source:

1. Controlling, handling and MIDI connections
    Midi over USB
    Midi Program change
    Preset handling and exchange software tool v1.0

2. Modulators
    New modulation targets
    A way to set a modulator Level (or multiple levels) as a target

Also, it’s been clarified on FB that you will need either Mojave or Windows 10 to perform the firmware update with their updater tool.
Mac users without Mojave might want to consider a bootcamp solution.

11 Likes

Yes! Excited. Looks like they fixed everything people have been reporting. Very happy to see the MIDI latency fix. Their last update worked for me on Catalina so hopefully that’s the case here.

1 Like

I had to use a real Windows 10 installation rather than a virtual machine, so I won’t make the same error ext time. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Ouch. My good old 2011 MacBook Pro is officially too old. Damn I haven’t see that coming.

Huh, bummer that we don’t get midi over USB yet, but I’m glad it’s coming. How reliable have their release schedules been in the past?

It is OUT!

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/

6 Likes

Just in time when i pre-ordered it on Thomman :smiley:

1 Like

Likewise. V. Curious to see if it shows up already-updated or not. (I’m guessing no, since they’re claiming it’ll ship this week)

Anyone have the new CC list? It doesn’t seem to be in the docs for the update.

isn’t there a CC list in the setup menu, or is that not updated with the firmware?

1 Like

First impressions of the new FX - having the digital HPF always available on FX1 is a smart move and makes it usable everywhere - excellent. The phaser and cloud effects take things even further out, and the choice of reverbs is nifty too - this is only after a short play around with existing presets that I saved from firmware 1.1, but it’s going to be a lot of fun. oh, and being able to set knobs and sliders to catch values is already really nice - and it’s handy that the functionality can be switched back as well if wanted. Not had a chance to check MIDI clocking as yet, but looking forward to that working.

There’s no new version on the Dreadbox website, but hopefully they will include the CC list in the v2.0 manual as and when it’s uploaded. There is a list in the Settings menu of the Typhon itself:

1 Mod wheel
2 CC2
3 Resonance
4 Cutoff
5 Waveshape
6 Osc 2 offset
7 Glide
8 VCO level
9 Filter tracking
10 …
11 Filter FM
12 FX1 HP filter cutoff
13 FX1 HP filter resonance
14 FX1 parameter 1
15 FX1 parameter 2
16 FX1 mix
17 FX2 parameter 1
18 FX2 parameter 2
19 FX2 parameter 3
20 FX2 feed
21 FX2 mix
22 FX3 parameter 1
23 FX3 parameter 2
24 FX3 feed
25 FX3 parameter 4
26 FX3 mix
27 Filter EG attack
28 Filter EG decay
29 Filter EG sustain
30 Filter EG release
31 Filter EG time
32 …
33 Filter EG level
34 VCA DG attack
35 VCA EG delay
36 VCA EG sustain
37 VCA EG release
38 VCA EG time
39 VCA EG level
40 M1 Parameter 1
41 M1 Parameter 2
42 M1 Parameter 3
43 M1 CV level
44 M1 CV1 level
45 M1 CV2 level
46 M1 wave level
47 M1 cutoff level
48 M1 resonance level
49 M1 EG level
50 M1 VCA level
51 M1 FX level
52 M1 FFM level
53 M1 FX2 level
54 M1 delay time level
55 M1 FX3 level
56 M2 Parameter 1
57 M2 Parameter 2
58 M2 Parameter 3
59 M2 CV level
60 M2 CV1 level
61 M2 CV2 level
62 M2 wave level
63 M2 cutoff level
64 M2 resonance level
65 M2 EG level
66 M2 VCA level
67 M2 FX1 level
68 M2 FFM level
69 M2 FX2 level
70 M2 delay time level
71 M2 FX3 level
72 M3 Parameter 1
73 M3 Parameter 2
74 M3 Parameter 3
75 M3 CV level
76 M3 CV1 level
77 M3 CV2 level
78 M3 wave level
79 M3 cutoff level
80 M3 resonance level
81 M3 EG level
82 M3 VCA level
83 M3 FX1 level
84 M3 FFM level
85 M3 FX2 level
86 M3 delay time level
87 M3 FX3 level
88 Seq length
89 Seq division
90 Seq probability
91 Seq swing

So there’s plenty of control options for external devices there.

8 Likes

There is, but I’m still waiting on my hardware to ship. :slight_smile:

Oh wow, this has exceeded my expectations on the FX side.

When I heard the digital HPF with resonance was coming to FX1, I imagined it would be one of many FX1 options.

It’s default on FX1 and all the other FX1 overdrive options are in ADDITION to it.
How lovely to get some HPF action with the foldback distortion at the same time.

6 Likes

This has again got me reaching for sounds to pipe through the external input, never mind the synth itself - it’s an even more amazing FX box now, and a phenomenal synth; the two together are astounding.

2 Likes

and while I love that, there are still issues with BPM drifting (externally clocked over MIDI). (sad trombone)

One of the devs says he is on it, and will get a patch update out ASAP (marginally happier trombone?)

3 Likes