Dreadbox Typhon

Unfortunately it is really the way things work for a lot of small companies.

If the product is ready from a hardware / testing perspective, ship it to stores, advertise on it online, communities like ours will take care of the rest.

I was fortunate to get a typhon from the first batch. Same with Polyend Tracker.

However both devices are not being used right now because I am waiting on updates on basic things.

I could sell them without losing a cent, but I am sure that the updates from what they announce will fix most of my issues.

At least I bought them at the right time, however it would be great for companies to understand that if you release half baked firmwares from the launch, then it tarnishes a bit the brandā€™s image imoā€¦

4 Likes

Kinda wish more companies, especially small ones, went with open source firmware for that reason. The community can and will usually fix/improve software.

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more, the music gear market is kind of suffering from the fact that the review videos themselves are products now. They would be considered irrelevant if they were not part of the first wave, would get fewer views and thus would be bad products. Thatā€™s why you see these channels rushing to produce reviews, even if they are not thorough or well documented. Some problems should clearly have been highlighted and maybe short videos or tweets saying ā€œthis synth is not reviewable until the next update, major functionnalities are lackingā€.
Itā€™s more broadly a problem with the way news are provided nowadays, things need to go very fast, maybe those monthly mags with more time to do better researched reviews were not that bad after all?
I think part of it also comes from the fact that Dreadbox is a beloved small company and releasing nice reviews on release day is also part of supporting such an actor in the business.
However, those midi sync/latency issues are misstep.

2 Likes

Influencer get paid, some more than 5000$ to review any synth. At this price, manufacturers expect (demand) positive reviews. Better to wait for independent reviews.

Canā€™t be certain but I doubt anyone other than Andrew Huang gets anywhere near that amountā€¦ It was discussed a fair bit in another thread.

But Iā€™d agree that even those getting freebies wouldnā€™t want to bite the hand that feeds them too hard.

Edit: Here: Whats going on with Youtube?

1 Like

luckily for me i dont go anywhere near andrew huang and his youtube channel.
but that entire influencer discussion it probably best avoided.

if Iā€™m still buying hardware in the next few months Iā€™d like a typhon, but at the moment i seem to just use ios and ableton ā€¦ i have a new pro1,microfreak,nts1 , lots of other gear gathering dustā€¦ i probably dont need a typhon.

just a small tidbit for reference, since i didnā€™t see it in the manual, but backups end up stored in ~/Library/Application Support/dreadbox. the backup process produces a date stamped directory of each bank of patches as plain text files, which i didnā€™t quite expect. it was neat to check out the format, though.

3 Likes

In fact, Iā€™ve been considering a TR-6S to go with my ARmk2, Typhon, Sirin, Odyssey, etc. Then a Hydrasynth/Argon/Digitone and OB-6 or PolyBrute ā€“ one poly digital and one poly analog.

I have nothing against Andrew Huang and was pleasantly surprised by the depth of his commitment. His ideas and taste donā€™t always reflect those of the instrument manufacturers who effectively sponsor him and that shows a degree of integrity. But what he values isnā€™t always intrinsic to music and sound ā€“ some of his prefs are almost ideological, which doesnā€™t interest me. Heā€™s the musical equivalent of someone who just discovered Nietszche a few years ago and is stuck in that evangelism for the obvious (but supposedly subversive) revelation.

1 Like

Aā€¦ hipster?

I had a Typhon and sent it in to be repaired, then they sent me an ā€œopen-boxā€ unit in worse condition than mine (mine was mint, could easily pass as brand new). That didnā€™t fix the noise static issue.

In the end, since the Typhon doesnā€™t come with a wall plug, apparently the terrible static noise was due to being powered via the provided USBcable and my computer. As soon as I powered it via a wall plug I went out and purchased the awful noise was gone. Must be some sort of interference between being powered from my motherboard and the output of the Typhon, because no noise was present in the headphone output.

2 Likes

This seems very wide spread on many usb powered boxes , not unique to typhoon ( the usb noise ).

2 Likes

The Typhon manual goes into great detail about the problem and possible solutions to it as well.

2 Likes

I spoke with customer service (a technician) for days before returning it, trying everything recommended and that I could think of, and nothing of the sort was mentioned, strangely enough.

I came up with it on my own after much misfortune. Lesson learned I suppose.

Thatā€™s really odd that they didnā€™t mention it. Shame you had such a bad experience with it too.

2 Likes

I appreciate the tip re the wall plug. Good to ken if I ever encounter that noise issue.

2 Likes

I can blame myself for not reading the manual, half the time I used it by itself outside with a power bank watching birds.

But when I wanted to record it I couldnā€™t fix the issue until the VERY last thing I had triedā€¦ no worries, I will get another when theyā€™re readily available, I loved very moment of it

3 Likes

From Facebook:
I have to say, I am testing the Cloud reverb from Sinevibes that is now on my beta Typhon firmware v2.0 and instead of testing I am jamming for the past few hoursā€¦ If the update delays it would be my fault.
Yiannis

4 Likes

Actually, itā€™s something I encounter on my OB-6 as well (not the Peak) when they are plugged via USB on my MIO4.

I think @darenager gave an explanation somewhere, my own understanding is that it is some kind of ground loop that creates this.
I just use standard MIDI cables for my OB-6, guess Iā€™ll do the same with the Typhon. Sad, nonetheless.

Iā€™ve definitely encountered this problem with an Axoloti when plugged into a USB cable from a computer (only through the main outs - the headphones are fine) - which is unfortunate, as the patcher on the Axoloti can only be edited using a computer.

Come to think of it, that may explain why the MFB Dominion Club has hissy output occasionally too, though Iā€™ve never powered it nor my Typhon from a computer. I think I have some USB cables with ground loop reducers somewhere, mind - off to look!

OK, there is already a thread about ground loops, letā€™s keep it there from now on, if you will :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Back on topicā€¦

One new firmwares please! :smiley:

Must have clock and transport!

(and 64 steps) :wink:

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever waited for a new firmware with anticipation like this.

4 Likes