Dreadbox Typhon

I know and commercially it makes sense for them, of course. And it IS already a brilliant synth, there really isn’t much more we could ask for at this price point. Still, we can always dream… :wink:

1 Like

Yep. Ideally a digital noise with a pan, in order to be able to re-inject it in audio in (otherwise I guess it can’t go through analog filter).

That said Typhon is pretty noisy, if you want noise “only” you can play very high notes (tri wave, octave 6, pitch +24, eventually CV+24).

Example of high notes, you can hear noise while playing (in VCO). Not mine but Synthwalker’s.

1 Like

+1 for an arp :ok_hand:

And yet another shout for scales, to make that slightly fiddly little sequencer exponentially funner

3 Likes

I would really like some noise! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good thinking, scales would be a great addition too!

Digital noise is unlikely since it has to go through the analog filter which is before the digital part of the synth

2 Likes

Good (but sad) point.

I’d say : Sad but true

But I’m all in for an arp and some workflow enhancements for the sequencer!

That’s why I said above it would be interesting to have digital noise with pan settings (for fx too), in order to be able to use it with one output, and plug it to audio in, hence through filter…
(I already tested things with feedback that way).

Obviously with a mono output, but usable.

Anyway, as in Loopop’s video, a very cheap radio with minijack outs can do the job.

3 Likes

That gives me an idea. I have an old design, 1" x 3" digital noise PCB. Might have to try putting it in a little box, with pitch knob, 3.5mm IO, etc. as a companion for synths like this. :wink:

2 Likes

I recently got one only for noise, called Zoia. :content:

I searched for noise generators before, but as I already have a tiny radio I already “modded” in a very simple way to change frequencies with CV, a led and and photo sensitive resistor, no brainer !

Is that something you made?

2 Likes

https://www.touellskouarn.fr/accessories/hirlostek

2 Likes

Nice!

I wish I could code. It’s one thing that as much as I’ve tried, I can’t make my brain do it.

So I build everything that I need to do this sort of thing with logic ICs.

One would think I could translate that from one medium to another, but…. Alas. No.

Anyway, I use shift register ICs with XOR feedback paths. Similar concept, but all done with analog ICs performing digital functions.

Same result though. :wink:

4 Likes

My typhon just bricked :sob:

Had it since February and now it just turns itself off after the sinevibes screen. Sent a message to dreadbox support but they can’t give the the hugs I require in this difficult time :persevere:

6 Likes

Ahh damn, sorry to hear it. I hope they can find a solution for you further down the line.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry - this made me lol. Anyway, regarding your issue - try a new USB cable. I found that when one of my USB cables went bad, it made it appear as though my Typhon bricked. Turns out it was just a bad power supply issue from a faulty cable.

2 Likes

Sometimes ya gotta laugh!

It’s sorted now. My first instinct was to try different cable and plug configurations.

Anyway by the time I woke up this morning, dreadbox had replied to my support ticket and recommended I update the firmware, which worked!

Fortunately I had recently backed up my sounds but they offered to extract them for me if I sent the top board to Greece which was very nice, but I didn’t think it worth it for sake of a couple of patches.

Anyway, I’m happy now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey there! My typhon makes noise when I turn the master volume knob. This is very annoying. Anyone’s knows what it is and how could I fix this? Could be dust? :thinking::angry:

I mean, it’s possible. What kind of noise? Like static? If so, pick up some good quality electrical contact cleaner (like Deoxit D5), remove the volume knob, and try spraying the pot down while turning the pot up and down fully a dozen times to work the cleaner in. Do it while it is unplugged and let the contact cleaner evaporate (always good to let it set an hour before you power it back up). If that doesn’t fix a staticy pot, then it’s probably hardware failure.

1 Like