Dreadbox Typhon

Thx @Erinnyen, didn’t know that one, gonna have a look.

The Beebo and Zoia tick the same boxes and don’t need a computer to program patches. All three of them very powerful and in the end personal preference is the deciding factor (and currently availability unfortunately).

What about the Korg NTS-1? Lowbudget, 3 Effectslots with Delay, Reverb, Modulation + User-Engine to customize the whole Thing…

2 Likes

What I would really like is an (almost) one function per knob pedal. The Zoia seems too menu divey for me with only one rotary knob. I think I would find the NTS maybe a bit too fiddly (although I like the fx on my Minilogue XD which are the same, arent they?)

The NTS-1 knobs are fine and quite well placed; the only problem I have with it is a lack of presets, but that can be fixed by using a web app to store them - and yup, it uses the 'Logue engine so can run (most) of the same FX - which are really good, as it happens.

1 Like

If the synth part is not needed, take a look at the Source Audio Collider or Earthquaker Avalanche Run pedals.

1 Like

When I had one I found latency made it unplayable.

They keep promising synths but apart from Tal Noisemaker it looks like general MIDI for now.

What was your use case? I never had or have issues with latency and I‘m using it with various instruments.

Can’t say if this has been highly requested, however, and in addition to my previous comment, it would only make me wonder if they wouldn’t fill this gap. The Nymphes is featuring CC in & out already, so you can see the route they’re on. And certainly am all in for that as well :wink:

1 Like

If you want knob per function, the Eventide Space is really nice and also has an algo with delay (echoverb).

Also the Doctor A sounds like exactly what you want :slight_smile: You can try and find a 2nd hand unit…

1 Like

Playing guitar and bass through it I found there was audible delay. Playing MIDI instruments with my Linnstrument, same deal. That may have been resolved in an OS update but I let mine go because of it. It seemed cool as long as you started inside the box.

Edit to say: if people are playing through it or using a controller and not noticing latency, I would like to know.

Dotted is possible via the step modulator. Just sync FX3 to BPM, create a one step sequence with LVL 100 and assign to destination F31 and F32 with LVL 50.

2 Likes

EQD Avalanche certainly caught my attention. Also it is one of the few pedals that are available at the moment. Must be the global chip shortage, because pedals like the Collider and Specular are all out of stock for a very long time.

1 Like

But hey, this is a Typhon thread. Sorry for the slight derailment.

1 Like

I’m sure this has been asked, but is anyone here just using one output of the Typhon as opposed to stereo outs? I only have two inputs left (using the Heat as a soundcard), and would prefer to use those for my Typhon and AS-1 simultaneously.

The plan is to use each synth’s right output only then sum them to mono with Ableton’s utility tool. AS-1 has a mono setting, but not sure if the Typhon’s stereo effects will sound weird.

The effects are all stereo, so they certainly won’t sound as intended. Whether you deem that weird or not is personal taste. Let us know how it works out for you!

1 Like

Can’t you just buy a mini (passive) mixer to combine both stereo signals before going into the AH?

I suppose I could do this, but then I wouldn’t be able to EQ the two synths separately in Ableton. Maybe that’s worth it though. Thanks for the idea!

This looks alright:

I have run it mono with no problem.

1 Like

If you want to be able to eq them, maybe buy a mini mixer with eq :wink:

2 Likes