Drone synths

A lunchbox modular / 4ms Pod case with an Industrial Music Electronics Hertz Donut MK3 or a Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido and a Make Noise Mimeophon would totally be an endless noise machine. Add any kind of MIDI to CV to it and you have enough drone material for the rest of your life :laughing:

I discovered Nozoid early on with their first synth the OSC-2, but this one is the best fit for drones

3 Likes

This company was new to me, really interesting stuff. They have an upcoming module that looks promising…

https://manecolabs.com/detalle/grone-expander/

2 Likes

Do you have a DT or DN already? Get a sine wave, set the envelope release to infinite and season to taste. With the DT, set your loop points accordingly, and decide which direction you want everything to loop . Get creative and set a 64 note loop up. Going 1/2 speed, and have the looping periodically switch directions. P LOCK some delay craziness. Add some bit reduction dirt to the mix. Find Jesus, ask her what’s up with all these strip malls and crazy prices for Magic The Gathering cards. No need to buy something new, if what you have can already do it. A lot of what makes a drone a drone is the fact that the VCA’s envelope is left fully open f o r e v e r.

9 Likes

I can get my SP-16 to sound exactly like my Lyra… if I sample it first :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did you ever upload these anywhere?

6 Likes

Oh dang, I don’t need any more noisemakers at the moment but this sounds great!

Very nice. Thankfully located in the US which makes purchasing one of the 29 left in stock just a bit too expensive and complicated vs my essential laziness, thereby saving my bank balance for another day.

3 Likes

The price for that seems a bit excessive for what it is but maybe I’m out of touch into today’s climate. It does sound cool though

It just arrived, only had the chance to check with headphones, so no opinion yet. Whiting three days it was delivered in Belgium. :astonished:

1 Like

Something ridiculous acquired from another board member, arrived today (thanks @cov3r) . Not as instantly charming as the Grendel. But it has its own appeal, I think. The bytebeat chip tunes coming out of the left hand side are a bit basic/uncontrollable. But when you feed them into the also somewhat uncontrollable Clouds side (I genuinely have no idea what the hell is going on…), via a bit of MS20 style filter, it kind of all makes sense. I suspect this is one of those toys that never makes the same sound twice. But thats not necessarily a bad thing…

4 Likes

I don’t mind the Giger-photomontage look of Maneco’s devices. Skulls amuse me. What appears to make the Grone pedal inapplicable to my verkvlow is the apparent lack of MIDI or clock sync (unless I’m missing something). Not being able to control everything with house sync is maddening for me.

I’m glad you’re content with your Grone, though. What have you been doing with it in 2022?

I’d have snatched the DC pedal long ago if only it had clock sync in. Maybe Eric Archer will add that to a later version, since it’s on the DC-2. He’s a nice guy; we can talk to him about that. I prefer silver, blue, white, gray and black for my cold-hued studio, but I like what Archer did with his green scheme.

Re that Boy Harsher / Moffenzeef collaboration: Augustus Muller has amazing taste – I completely agree with him about the JV-1080 – and the Runner pedal sounds fabulous, but it seems designed to give you relentlessly musical results within a narrower scope than that of the other drone devices we’ve discussed. It is definitely an aesthetic object musically and visually. Perhaps the person on this thread who bought one will prove me wrong with a track written with it. (I would love that.)

2 Likes

The Evolver (Desktop) is my friend :milky_way:

3 Likes

Ha - its not a terribly usable toy tbh. Good for spinning up a storm whilst slumped on the sofa rather than anything more. Expensive for that, but fun. The Moffenzeef Runner is :heart_eyes: in terms of sound, however limited the rails it runs on (which arguably arent that much narrower than the GDC)

1 Like

I saw there exists a mini grone drone too eurorack

I dont know anything about eurorack or the differance from the bigger one i just like the idea of small drone synths lol.
its 300 euro from the looks of it

Even a little more OG than “analog”, it’s what they call “acoustic” :wink:

1 Like

Small drone-noise synth I love and (ab)use a lot are:

• 1010.co.uk Micro Black Death
  • JMT Synth SNB-b and NF1
  • Korg Monotron Delay (mine is modified with Filter Res knob, and switch to send the LFO to pitch or filter)
  • Gen Thalz PTSD
  • Electrograve Quad-Osc
  • MASF Ma.OSC3
  • Bastl Instrumenty Trinity Poly
  • Exagonal Rooms Drone Invader and White Fly
  • Error Instruments Data Synth
2 Likes

The Runner sounds cool as hell, and I love the parts of Boy Harsher’s eponymous soundtrack that don’t involve guest artists, but I have to disagree with you on the DC-2. The current version is welded to the once-separate Expander, which means tons of Eurorack I/O and control. You can play it with a keyboard, for example, if you ever want to. And clock and CV are essential things to have.

Certain People on the Internet seem not to like the sound of the DC-2 as much as the original, but that now-unchallenged Consensus about Drone Commander Models by People Who Have Never Used Drone Commanders has become one of those Internet Facts that have nothing to do with pragmatic personal use (like the fashion law on men’s sartorial sites that decrees The Only Color You May Wear with Black Is Purple).

So far, the DC-2 sound satisfies me completely. I’m tempted to buy the DC pedal to compare (since it’s said to sound like the original ammo can version), but the cost would not be practical and its uses would be more limited than those of the DC I own now. Also, the thing is beautiful. I’ll take a photo when I return home after the weekend.

That bleated, I would love to have a Runner to play with on the couch. I did preorder a Dirtywave M8 for that purpose, but I’m wondering whether I should cancel or not. It will be due to arrive in July if everything stays on schedule. We’ll see.

4 Likes
  • 1010.co.uk Micro Black Death
  • JMT Synth SNB-b and NF1
  • Korg Monotron Delay (mine is modified with Filter Res knob, and switch to send the LFO to pitch or filter)
  • Gen Thalz PTSD
  • Electrograve Quad-Osc
  • MASF Ma.OSC3
  • Bastl Instrumenty Trinity Poly
  • Exagonal Rooms Drone Invader and White Fly
  • Error Instruments Data Synth

That’s a fascinating list. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the Black Death noise synth on the 1010 page. The only link I could find to a purchase page for that synth was on Reverb.