Drone synths

Interesting. Raising my MS-20 mini GAS.

1 Like

The NTS-1 is amazing for what you get. I’m so glad I got one, even though I’ve not put time in to exploring it properly yet. There are so many good custom oscillators and fx you can load into it. I do wish it was a little bit bigger though.

1 Like

not yet.
did not record anything last winter, and switched to other kind of music for spring/summer time.
maybe next autumn/winter.

1 Like

Not small format at all…
But you can get nice drones out of the MS20. 3 voices, that can all move and blend over each other. (5 voices if you count using both filters pushed into self resonance)

2 Likes

This is the first thing I did with the NTS1
It is 1 take no overdubs and NTS1 only

5 Likes

Nice sounds! It really sounds like so much more than a tiny, sub-£100, build it yourself synth.

Maneco Grone definitely deserves a place in this thread. Not much of the demo is actual drone but it’s awesome nonetheless (especially 06:30 onwards)

1 Like

This is the demo you should watch on this synth/module. Engage the GAS!

3 Likes

Any chance you could explain your techniques for this?

This looks a decent deal. If I didn’t have one already would jump on this Grendel Drone Commander Synth Green/red | Bob's Gear Depot | Reverb

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!

I don’t think it’s been mentioned here, but the THC Recursive Machine might fit the bill! I’ve never used one, but I’ve always been intrigued by it:

3 Likes

Came so close to pulling the trigger on it myself. But it would just be gratuitous gear assembly on the basis the front panel is a different colour from my one. And then I’d be down the rabbit hole of chasing the blue and gold variants…. :laughing:

1 Like

Same. I think that machine is rad.

Serious GAS. That thing sounds analog and digital.

1 Like

Wicked isn’t it. I can’t let myself watch this video any more times…

1 Like

I had an original Maneco Filter Eko Looper. An absolute beast of a machine. Maneco Urquhart makes very strange very inspiring devices indeed. And seems quite an interesting bloke - have somehow ended up being a Facebook friend of his. What puts me off his new stuff is the aesthetic. All the skulls and doomy art seems slightly unnecessary. I wish he’d go for a more restrained look to his newer boxes.

4 Likes

Analog Heat, Quadraverb, Dark Energy and Sherman Filterbank work pretty well together as a drone synth :relaxed:

7 Likes

The Maneco drone pedal looks cool as heck!

2 Likes

Now this is very good stuff. Big wide spaces opening up in your head listening to the noise. Seems whoever is making it is using a GDC Eurorack module, Subharmonicon, and some other slightly exotic stuff. Whatever, the drone is good indeed.

3 Likes