Drone synths

Probably possible to order directly from the builder… search the web

1 Like

I’ll just leave it here:

5 Likes

link in the video description takes you to the site and can purchase from there - $680 for those interested

1 Like

no recording but I have some of the patches saved of my drone if you are interested.

Sorry guys, can’t stop posting here:

1 Like

Its not got quite as many bells and whistles as the pedal version, but can confirm the ammo can is just that much more…tactile and organic…or something. Whatever, its rather lovely to mess around with. Definitely one of those toys you feel a bond with instantly.

5 Likes

I like this one a lot!

Goddammnit… There is another black face unit on Reverb but in NZ. I’m tempted to sell the pedal. But looking at £500 plus the import, so ad another ~£100. I knew I should have emigrated when I had the chance! :anguished: :anguished:

3 Likes

I’m having a lot of fun using Digitakt as a drone machine. Without oscillators: a sample-based drone synth. It works very well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Its a beautiful instrument, if you are into eurorack the eurorack version is brilliant

3 Likes

Nice! Goes from zero to hectic quite quickly. That would be a good live combo.

Minilogue XD: Hold my beer…

4 Likes

After the lyra8 all other “drone synths” feel limited and kind of one trick ponies. I feel you can more cooler drones out of an MS20 and a few FX than most drone synths.

4 Likes

It’s the limitations that make them what they are. You don’t want too much control, just enough to shape and caress the waves coming out of your speakers. Having a Lyra and a couple of Drone Commanders (now) I kind of get that they are similar in that for both of them you ride the instrument rather than pretend you can tame it. But despite that, they scratch a very different kind of itch. And the sound of the Grendel Drone Commander is just…different. It would be difficult to fake it even if you wanted to.

1 Like

I did have a go before I got one!

1 Like

That’s not bad at all. Not quite the same harmonics, but some really interesting stuff going on there none the less. There is definitely a space for a Clone Commander out there!

Here’s another interesting attempt to clone it

2 Likes

Thanks @MattLxx. I only gave it one go before getting the pedals so it would be worth me revisiting at some point. Especially as I didn’t have a PLL circuit at that point (now I have 2 in the synchrodyne + expander).

I like the demo, interesting. In fact Norns is a pretty interesting concept. I started poking around with Supecollider the other day - maybe I’ll try making a Super Commander once I get the hang of it!

2 Likes

Nice!

Thx! The third (digital) oscillator really is the icing on the cake with the XD. Wavetable especially cool for drones.

And the XD-fx are much better than I expected.

Cheated a bit by using 8 very slow moving lfo’s from the NDLR.

1 Like

Coming back here to say, again: Digitone.
Man, you can really get into dark AF territory - just with a single track and a few endless notes. I’ve had a few drone sessions with it and it’s really intense - the fact that you can dial in such small changes is amazing for extremely subtle changes… there’s so many timbral possibilities, with so many places to change it from.

7 Likes

I’ve always liked the NTS-1’s form factor. Do you have any recordings by chance?

1 Like