Drum fills on 8th bar

Hi,

I had the Digitakt for a few weeks now and pretty good at the basics, but stuck on some more advanced stuff.

I had a quick search but can’t find what I’m looking for. Basically I would like to create a drum fill every 8 bars.

I understand that I’ll have to use the scale to make the 4 bars into 8 on the drum track and use trigs to only play a kick roll every 2.2. What’s the best way to set all the other instruments on drum track to not play on the 8th bar?

I wouldn’t mess with scale but I’d make the trigs you want in the transition to be be conditional. I think there is an 8:1? 8:8? (whatever one gets you the condition on the last of 8 bars) conditional you can use. Apply that conditional to you the trigs you want in your fill.

3 Likes

If you’re pattern is set to 64 steps, add trig conditions of 2:2 to the trigs for the drum fill, and 1:2 for any trigs that you don’t want to play during the fill. I think this should work.

6 Likes

Providing there are no other conditions on the track applying not pre to all the other trigs might work, might be possible with neighbour trigs too.

1 Like

I’m a Digitakt noob and following this question as it’s relevant to me too (thanks, OP). Could you kindly explain what you mean by “not pre” and “neighbour trigs”? Many thanks.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The 2.2 and 1.2 work a treat on 8 bars thanks.

What I’m wondering is how this guy is achieving the different rolls on the end of 16 bars using only one pattern.

The A:B trigs are dependant on the overall cycle/loop length of your pattern.

A 1:2 trig on a one bar pattern will give different results than if it was set on a four bar pattern, for example.

Sorry to just quote the manual but it’s no doubt clearer than I am able to manage right now :wink:

A:B A sets how many times the pattern (or track, if the track length is shorter than the pattern length) plays before the trig condition is true. B sets how many times the pattern (or track, if the track length is shorter than the pattern length) plays before the count is reset and starts over again. This cycle then repeats until you stop the sequencer.

For example:
With the setting 1:2, the trig condition is true the first time the pattern plays and then the third, the fifth, and so on.
With the setting 2:2, the trig condition is true the second time the pattern plays and then the fourth, the sixth, and so on.
With the setting 2:4, the trig condition is true the second time the pattern plays and then the sixth, the tenth, and so on.
With the setting 4:7 the trig condition is true the fourth time the pattern plays and then the eleventh, the eighteenth, and so on.

2 Likes

If you have a trig with a condition such as 1/4 you could put a trig after it(if there is room) with a not pre condition, meaning it would play the other 3 times. Neighbour trigs work the same but instead use the closest conditional trig on the previous track as a point of reference to either play(NEI) or not play(NOT NEI).

1 Like

Hi,

I think I have it worked out for a 16 bar pattern…

I’m using two breaks in slice mode: Amen and Apache. The Apache only plays on the last bar of 16

So to get the 16th bar turn around I did the following:

Main break programmed as usual for the first 3 pages but then on 4th page each hit is offset by one step on each of the hits and then micro tuned back on grid to allow the Apache break to be programmed on 4th page in correct place (It doesn’t matter witch break is offset really). The Apache is set to 4:4 so will only play on the 4th time around on 4th bar. The Original break set to NOT Pre so won’t play when the Apache is playing :wink:

Cheers for your help.

2 Likes

Yup, sounds about right.

It’s a headfuck but immensely satisfying once you suss it out :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I think I just found the part where Digitakt gets a bit complex! :rofl:

1 Like

One other option is to use the song mode. Not really sure how you intend to use this, but you could for instance program a pattern for the beat, one for the fill. Then set up a “song” so that the first pattern plays 7 bars, and the second pattern plays 1 bar, then loops.