Drum machine dilemma

Well, decision made.

I’m not getting rid of any drum machines :joy:

I’m selling the Eventide H90 instead - main reason is that I really don’t use effects much when jamming live. I can add any effects I want either via the synths directly, or more likely via plugins/DAW after I’ve tracked my stuff into the timeline.

I’ll probably get what I paid back for the H90 as it’s pristine and there’s a big wait for them right now, and if I want it again in the future, that will be an easy buy.

Anybody want an H90? :blush:

4 Likes

It’s a personal matter, and I love a good drum machine dilemma as you well know, but out of that list I would personally part with the AR as I don’t like the analogue voices compared to other drum machines. I also am not a massive fan of the DRM though haven’t used the MK4 and it’s not going to contribute much towards the budget. Modor DR-2 sounds lovely but I find the interface goes against my expectations. A4 I intend to use more of but seems really decent and versatile. MBase is fab.

3 Likes

Your drum machine addiction is like mine :grimacing:

I agree with you mainly. The AR has got weaker synthesis engines and weaker overall sound in general, but you can get some heavy stuff out of it when you push it hard. Something stops me from selling it. I guess the only thing a might replace it with is another A4 mk2……

Vermona is instant usable sounds without needing to work too hard. It was so cheap I couldn’t resist it, but ultimately, not ‘really’ needed.

Modor is lovely, but having used it for a while, the interface is a bit clunky + I can make similar, if not better sounds from an iPad drum synth or Microtonic (which I love to bits), and even A4 can make some similar noises too. If I didn’t have all the other drum boxes, it would be a definite keeper, but something tells me that the Modor may be next to go……ish.

1 Like

just curious, what are your plans or trying to accomplish with the mac mini?

if just using a daw is your main concern i’d look into the used market for an older version. they are still highly capable and more affordable vs the latest models.
which could help you not have to sell anything.
i forgot what year but theres mac mini models that you can open the lid and upgrade the ram. (just incase you didn’t know)

1 Like

If you do chuck the Modor I highly, highly recommend the Nord Drum 2 as a replacement. Not exactly the same as the Modor has some unique digital percussion engines but to my ears it gets close enough, and goes to some places the Modor simply cannot. The ND2 is also a LOT smaller and great to sequence with an Elektron. They’re both great mind you!

Oh yeah and I love Microtonic. I still find myself sampling Patternarium.

1 Like

I’m currently running a 4 year old PC that was a Hack’tosh, but became a little labour intensive with OS tweaks, so I just turned it into a Win 11 PC. It’s got an 8 core, Core i9 CPU and decent RAM, so quite powerful, but I find that with hungry synths like Diva, Pigments and Cherry Sines, the CPU does still get loaded up quite easily, so want something with more power :muscle:t3:

The other reason for getting a Mac is that I thought I could do without Logic and use Ableton, but I just can’t flow with Ableton and hence need a stable and powerful Mac back in my life.

The intel Mac Mini’s with upgradable hard drives are less powerful than my PC build and the base M1 Mac Mini isn’t powerful enough (I’ve got an M1 iPad and it’s great for iOS) for what I need, so I’m aiming towards the M2 Pro Mini, as want to be future proofed for the next 4 years or so.

I’d love to go for a cheaper Mac, but even used M1 Max Studios are still a similar cost to the M2 Pro Mini

I’ve looked at ND2, but I’m thinking perhaps stick to analog hardware only and then use software only for digital drums. Microtonic, Seekbeats (iOS) and Ruismaker FM (iOS) are all very nice digital drum powerhouses.
Same principal with digital synths - I really thought of buying a Waldorf Iridium, but can’t justify the cost when Pigments can do pretty much the same kind of stuff.

Patternarium as ace isn’t it! SonicCharge have always been so ahead of their time with everything. I hear they’re releasing version 2 of Synplant soon!

1 Like

Sounds like it’s inevitable that the DR-2 is getting sold! Yeah Pigments is amazing, though I’m still sticking with the Virus. Whatever works for you and gets you making music is what you should stick with. :slight_smile:

Yeah I love Patternarium, it’s incredible they came up with that so many years ago. Synplant I didn’t really get into but would love to give it another go. The concept was awesome.

1 Like

Is microtonic your favorite drum VST? Are there any others you like as well? I am on the lookout for more good drum VSTs I can use in my daw right now…

Good question - yes, it’s definitely my favourite Drum Synth VST, in fact I don’t use any other strictly ‘synthesis’ based drum VST’s. I do however use Atlas and XO, as they’re great, but obviously are strictly sample based drum VST’s.

I have use SugarBytes Drum Computer quite a bit in the past, which uses kind of a hybrid sample/synthesis approach, I think, but I don’t find myself going back to it much these days. Worth a try if you’ve never used it before.

Nothing comes close to Microtonic though in my opinion, and it’s nearly 20 years old!! It’s kinda like the 808/909 of the VST world. Timeless!

2 Likes

I’d quite like to have all the drum machines….

2 Likes

Never tried Virus, but it has crossed my mind. Everyone always raves about it and it does sound very good.

Yes, I fear the DR-2 may go :confused:

I’m not one to be DAWless for the sake of it, so I use software when it just makes sense to do so. Like you say, whatever you can make music with. Sometimes I can jump on the DAW and make something wonderful in 10 mins without any hardware. A dollop of Microtonic, with a sprinkling of Cherry Audio Sines, Pigments and maybe u-He Hive/Serum/Sylenth/Omnisphere, and you can create magic right there 🪄

Sold!