Drum machine dilemma

I’m having a minor, but comical, dilemma. I need to part with a drum machine as want a new Mac Mini, and I don’t know which one to get rid of as it’s such a difficult decision.

I’ve got the following in the drum corner:

• Vermona DRM mk4
  • Analog Rytm mk2
  • Analog Four mk2
  • Modor DR-2
  • Jomox MBase 11

I have them all for their pure range of sonic capabilities they can achieve, but there is lot of overshadowing in terms of ability.

I’m not so bothered about sequencer functionality, as use Hapax mainly these days, so that’s not something I’m using to steer the decision.

In terms of my brief views for each machine:

• Vermona is great for sheer immediacy and chunky sound, but not having a kit save function can be both a blessing and a curse.

• Modor is lovely and reminds of my old MD a little, but I can probably create similar-ish sounds on the A4, or using sample packs via the AR.

• Rytm is such a good all-rounder, but don’t find it’s sound shaping capabilities as good as A4. I’m not sure if I could bare to sell it though, as I’ve had a mk1 and mk2 over the last 7 years! It is very versatile with sampling, performance, scene modes etc. The resale values seem to weak as well these days.

• A4 (appreciate it’s much more than a drum machine!) is so, so good, but wish it could morph in with the AR to make a super-beast. Again, couldn’t bare to sell it + resale values are crap. I even considered buying another one to pair up and make an A8, to replace the AR, but then I’d lose sample functionality AND I’d be spending more money instead of earning some :rofl:

• Jomox MBase11…well that can’t be replaced for what it does + it’s relatively cheap anyway.

Any thoughts welcomed…

I would just keep the RYTM and the Modor. That way you have two different flavors of synthesis as well as a sampler. The rest feels a little superfluous and honestly the RYTM alone would be enough.

I exclusively use a Digitakt for drums, much to my new Syntakt’s dismay.

2 Likes

The RTYM samples, so just sample all the ones you don’t want into the RYTM before they are sold.

7 Likes

Great answer!

1 Like

That’s a good idea + provides a different perspective to what’s been circling around in my head. Thanks!

Keep the RYTM above all

I’d probably flip the Modor or Vermona

Do you have any synths overlapping with the A4, or is that your only melodic hardware?

2 Likes

Yes, I can’t part with the AR :wink:

I’ve considered the Vermona or Modor, mainly the Modor as it’s worth the most money.

I’ve got a Prophet REV2, Abstrakt Avalon and Moog Minitaur for melodic hardware, so plenty of options there.

2 Likes

Don’t sell anything, you will regret it

8 Likes

Agreed, I always regret selling things and often end up re-purchasing at a loss, and that’s selling things I don’t get on with, let alone selling stuff I like. See about raising the money some other way…

But if you much sell I think you’ve answered your own question with the things you’ve said you ‘can’t sell’… sample the best sounds from the the Vermona and Mordor into the AR and sell them…

1 Like

If I had those I would keep the Vermona and the Modor. I would sell the analog rytm first as long as I had another sampler of some sort.

2 Likes

The Modor is new and still being updated, I would keep it.

3 Likes

Keep the Modor. The rest are easy to come by if you regret it.

3 Likes

Sample all those machines and sell everything.

Then sequence those samples on your new Mac Mini.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what my mind wants to hear :upside_down_face::joy:

Hahaha! :clap:

I’ve got an iPad Pro, so maybe even go one step further and not even bother getting the Mac Mini! If I could run Logic on the iPad, that would actually be an option!

Can’t do it. I’m too much of a knob twiddling hardware whore.

That’s five really nice drum machines (ok, I’m not that familiar with the Jomox), and you’re in the lucky position of all those five being either still in production or otherwise widely available. So I’d say keep the two or three you’ve been using the most and having the most fun with in the past 6-12 months.

2 Likes

I would keep AR and A4. It’s enough to cover lot of works.

EDIT : If you can, try to keep maximum of all that gear… computer is consumable, not the musical gear you have

2 Likes

That’s been part of my process of choosing, but to be fair, I use them all :nerd_face:

They are so flexible. They’re the only ones I couldn’t see myself parting with.

1 Like

Here’s hoping for a cash injection from elsewhere!

1 Like