Drum n' Bass Battle #2 (Arcade Edition) [WINNERS ANNOUNCED!]

Or both, I swore off doing another Hip Hop battle in favour of dnb for a bit but I couldn’t resist the urge… that’s it for me though two beats a month is more than enough time in front of a screen…

I could announce on Friday, and have it go through till the fifth again.

@Yabba pushed his deadline to the 16th. And I thought people would want a break. If I do this week to announce, it will stagger the same.

That is a long time till the next battle.

Plus, the next one is gonna be rated X! (not to be confused with xxx)

2 Likes

Let me brew some coffee and reveal the tracks!

(just woke up.)

Papa Nichols is my ride or die homie. I hate the grind but love the press.

3 Likes

SHEEEEEIIIIITTTT.

I think theres a tie.

RECOUNT!

1 Like

I would vote for start early and if you don’t want to put too much pressure on people leave a good deadline.

1 Like

Yeah, Im going to announce on Friday and the deadline will be March 5th

Im glad I reserved my vote, because now I’m not locked in and can break the tie…

having a listen now.

WTF. ITS SO HARD TO CHOOSE!

1 Like

… and the winners are.

1st PLACE!!!

@looms

2nd PLACE!!

@MichalHo

3rd PLACE!

@J-Hz

(tied with @TRAINTRACS, but I had to vote. It really was a tough choice.)

5 Likes

Congrats to @looms, @MichalHo and @J-Hz , and big thanks to any of you who voted for my track, it’s an honour to know that you like the music I turn out…

My track was number 14 and was based on and around samples from the metal gear solid series, production wise it was sketched out in drambo on my iPad, all the the think break chopping and glitching was done with drambos Flexi sampler and the scatterbrain fx, all the synth parts apart from one were synthmaster on the iPad. The only other synth part was an additional pad from uvi falcon…

Once I had the basic outline of what I wanted to do I moved the stems into Ableton to do the rest, all of the metal gear samples were sourced from YouTube…

This is the intro ambience

This is the breakdown ambience

These are the in game sounds

And finally this is the vocal which is from metal gear solid 3s soundtrack

I wanted it to be very atmospheric and a little cinematic to mirror the games a little and used the sonar sound as reference to the submarine that snake first emerged from in metal gear solid 1…

Edit… I totally forgot about the bass parts, the main bassline was synthmaster again with some saturation for extra grunt and the wub bass was a distorted, delayed and gated 808 using the audiokit 808 sub bass app

6 Likes

Good game, all! Congrats to the winners.

Will be cool to hear about how everyone made their tracks. I’ll post up some details on mine shortly.

3 Likes

I am swapping out the thumbnails now…

One note, is that I apologize my name is in the title… its the way Soundcloud is set up, and I would have to change my Username… Hopefully its still clear in the track name.

Wow, didn’t expect that. Thank you all.
Will be posting details after I’ve made dinner for the family.
I think I also need to follow up on the entry in the first competition, as I never declared the source except to @BLKrbbt

3 Likes

Congratulations!!

Question for @J-Hz

Whats that tone at 00:23? I hear it all the time in DnB tracks, and I always wondered…

Plus, your switch up really put you over the top to place… Do you know how hard it was to pick between this chill vibe and the “SEEEGGGAAAA” from @TRAINTRACS?

1 Like

Congratulations to the winners and to all who participated in the contest!

I did my track as a live session on Syntakt, Digitakt and Digitone. And I have a video of it. So no points for me, but maybe some YouTube fame :wink:

As arcade melody I used a theme from Super Mario Land 2 and programmed it on the Digitone. All melodies, basses, pads etc. come from the Digitone. Sampled and manipulated with the Digitakt. Syntakt for the drums.

Looking forward to the next round!

6 Likes

Well, my first attempt was the theme from Dragon’s Lair for the SNES. It was… okay, but I played in the chops to get the groove going, and it felt sloppy to me.

Then I booted up this game for the first time, and thought… oooo, what can I do with that?

It went from this to this!

Well, I kept it really organized by chopping with Maschine, and getting everything laid out in scenes mode and arranged…

I am getting really comfortable with the different ways to change tempo via the timestretching options, and the Maschine does this very, very well… and it also chops like butter with its resistant encoders… definitely a step up from the sp404, which I still love to death, but its not as polished as Maschine.

Alot of that came about from my conversations with @natehorn and @aarb420.

Their Biweekly Sampling Extravaganza is where I really worked through the common growing pains of producing sample based music.

Now this is the crazy part… it sounded too cheesy by itself, so i started chopping and adding the breaks… and it was getting closer, but still felt amateurish…

NOW… this is the great part… I export it as is, and load the sample and drums as a single audio track into Logic, and load up Pigments… and let me tell you… this is how I will now do sample based tracks from now on… I would just go through the different presets, and tweak them to taste and play them in with the Keystep Pro, recording the midi… and then tweaking the velocities and note length and placements on the piano roll… I would also bounce them in place to audio, and add effects or automation… bounce again, but always saving the midi track, and muting it - while naming the bounced track the name of the preset, so I can mute and take out the plug in (not that I have to with an M1 MBP, but why not keep things tidy)

All I can say, this is the most intricate production I ever had made… and it was also the most organized, and I feel like I really turned a corner in terms of my arranging and producing… I leveled up! (see… an arcade pun!)

(It even looks like a map in a side scroller like Metroid)

I know there is more for me to develop in terms of skill or what ever, but now I feel like I’m on the same track as all the production videos I watch on Youtube…

Plus, this is the first time I used filter sweeps and automated it in Maschine… so now I really know how to create movement and dynamic elements in my tracks… and they also feel more finished…

But that has to be cause of pushing myself to be able to compete here… you all really elevate my production. Well met!

5 Likes

Im really sorry about this… you did a great job, and I like your track. This is a byproduct of keeping the voting pool to just those who submitted… If it was more widespread, we would get more points spread around…

But that sounds like a nighmare to count for a clear “winner”, but as it is said, this isn’t really about winning/losing… its really just a trick to get us producing together, and a framework to which to make it interesting.

Its gonna be a bit different this time! Action packed if you will! Thrilling even!

2 Likes

I’ll even give everybody a hint about the next challange…

CarpenterHowarth5

1 Like

Its labeled as “wheel up signal” in Blue Mar Ten Jungle Jungle sample pack

1 Like