Drum n' Bass Battle #2 (Arcade Edition) [WINNERS ANNOUNCED!]

Whoa… quick google found this site…

It’s got free EVERYTHING!

https://www.dnbsamples.co.uk/free-sample-packs

1 Like

Yo that’s awesome!

2 Likes

My track was number 8:

My kid has been getting REALLY into Sonic recently, which was also my go-to as a kid, so it seemed like the obvious choice.

I found this pack of all the sounds from the original Sonic games, which is genuinely briliant, and I will almost definitely be using some of these samples again: https://www.reddit.com/r/Drumkits/comments/i3nwio/sonic_the_hedgehog_1_2_3_knuckles_sfx_kit/

It’s a testament to the old Genesis FM synth chip how good some of these sound. Pretty much all the sounds in the track aside from drums (but actually some of the drums too) came from this pack. Of course I did end up processing some of them pretty heavily, like that big phasing reese bass before the drop, which started out as one of the sustain samples from Sonic & Knuckles.

I also dug out these soundtracks, which were great for sampling drum sounds from:

And I sampled the drum fill you hear before the drop from the 1996 Sonic OVA (You can hear it at 07:18):

The process started on the Maschine+ in standalone - I loaded up all the samples, did the majority of sound design, composition, and arrangement on the Maschine, and then exported stems into Studio One for the final arrangement and mix.

Overall, the only sounds that didn’t come from the sources above were the main drum sounds (though they’re layered with sonic sounds too), most of the splashy tops/percussion, and the sub bass.

I still want to sort the mix out because it’s way too compressed and sub-heavy, but I had to draw a line to get it in!

5 Likes

No shit! You’re a Maschine user too? Word.

1 Like

I found this as well.

I haven’t got around to using any of them, but they are there.

Maybe of some use to you.

1 Like

Just got it recently, but love it so far!

That’s fucking coooooool. Nice one!

1 Like

Track 9 was mine. Sampled Yoshimitsu’s stage music from Tekken 2 and used SNES soundfont for a few sounds. All done in sub 90 mins.

1 Like

I was Ready, Player #10 and my track leant heavily on awesome 1990s point and click adventure, ‘The Secret of Monkey Island’ produced by Lucas Games.

I grabbed a few seconds of the iconic tune from around the 1:10 minute mark of this video and sliced that up to play the backbone of the melody:

and mixed in the monkeys and ‘swoosh’ from the start of this Curse of Monkey Island video:

The vocals are from one of the classic sword fighting scenes from Monkey Island Special Edition:

(around the 5 minute mark)…all squished into Logic Pro where I built the track.

I found it hard to get a good isolated bass sample from the YouTube videos so opted to build my own and create a bass line that was in the spirit of the game rhythm. I ended up using an approach I will try again…I used a deep but pronounced ‘Hollow Frame Bass’ instrument from Logic Pro that stood out in the mix but then overlayed it with ‘Waves of Deep Bass’ to add a bit of boom. In some sections you hear both together, in others you hear either the more punchy bass or just the sub bass.

I experimented with a few different ways of doing the voice sample manipulations as I learned how to use Logic. Drums were built around the Doing Science electronic drum kit (which I love) and built from the ground up so still a little simple as I learn what I’m doing.

Here’s a snap of my Logic Project so you can see the instruments used and the effects applied…

You can see I experimented with a lot of effects on the drums but ultimately just flew with the compressor and EQ.

Most tracks had EQ tweaking to avoid muddiness and there’s a sprinkling of Flanger and Tape Delay in there too to lift or smooth as needed.

6 Likes

Tune: Attack of the 8bit Kaiju (#7)

Bpm: 168

Source: Melodic phrase/sample adapted from a free, discontinued iOS/Android game by the name of “Monster Jam” by Behold Studios from Brazil/Canada. Very retro, very cute.

There is another game by the name Monster Jam that glorifies fossil fuel waste, so I didn’t want to use that title. I still haven’t figured out who wrote the melody. My older kid was playing this game about six or seven years ago, one day I heard that weird melody and went „WTF is that?“. Seemed familiar somehow.

I’ve had this sample on my 1010 Blackbox for almost three years, and used it in an unreleased dub(-step) jam, but never really loved the results. Normally, I write my own stuff anyway, so I forgot about it until now. Dug out an old amen break-jam to mess with from the Blackbox and dumped it all into Ableton. Added some „Drummer“ bounces I had made in Logic previously. It also uses a chop-up of the Sly&Family Stone „Rock Dirge“-snare sequence, so well-known from Photek’s productions. If I remember correctly, the reese-sound is a combo of Syntakt swarm and an Ableton stock sound. Stirred all that and shook it well, cranked the highs a little bit, rammed it the down the limiter (I wasn’t going to be out-gained like last time, ha!). Sent it off. Two minutes later I was like: „Why does the snare sound like s–t?“ But by then it was too late…

Tune: Teleport
*My tune from the first battle, got a total of 3 votes out of 23 (also #7)

Bpm: 170

Source: Castlevania anime show. Used some FX sounds from the scenes when Dracula’s castle teleports. The vocal sample is from Dracula’s adversary, Carmilla, when she realises that something went horribly wrong with her plan. She is such a badass villain, love her to bits. Such a shame she falls on her sword in the last season, but, whoa, what a boss-fight!

I didn’t push this tune as much as the recent one, because I was referencing it with old d&b and jungle tunes, so it has way less treble and high mids, more dynamics. I usually try to find a good compromise between loudness and dynamics. Often, I fail. Might do a remaster someday.

This tune, like the follow-up, uses a combo of classic breaks (chopped ‚Think‘, etc.) and home-made single-shots, but i also sampled one little break from Dillinja’s classic banger „Armoured D“, which I never managed to replicate. Google that tune, if you don’t know it, it’s in my all-time top 3.

49450539_2173238979670628_5920589903317434368_n

Edited: for clarity

3 Likes

Just checked out your channel briefly. The jazzy liquid dnb stuff in particular are f-ing dope. Love that style

2 Likes

I talked about it above, but you should invest in analog labs or pigments from Arturia.

It has the same type workflow as those in Logic, and Logic is great, and I feel Pigments would complement your workflow.

Next time you see a sale going on, check it out.

Spread the LOVE!!!

Everyone should know that after you submit, it’s never too late.

If you feel pressed to submit, then hear something you wanted to tweak, you can PM me an updated version.

I’ll try to keep track of the most recent version, by deleting the old file, so you have to keep backups.

I can do that all the way up to the deadline, then it’s printed.

There was an exception since I uploaded the wrong version for @Symian, but there are a bunch of files in that folder and I am only human.

My man left the metronome in the intro… faded it out…. Then drops you with the most poisoned Amens still walking the earth.

1 Like

It’s really wasn’t big deal though… all sorted, thanks for putting in the effort fella, we all appreciate it :+1:

2 Likes

No worries, it was already like 15min to the deadline. I was thinking, take it easy, this isn’t a matter of life and death, after all. There’s always a next time.

1 Like

I wrote down in my notes that I was going to give you an honourable mention, but then for some reason it wasn’t in my scoring so have a retrospective HM.

1 Like

Yes! That’s how I treat most my music production.

Why treat it like a valuable limited resource?

There is always more in the well.

You know the pleasure really is all mine.

I love drum and bass, and I love you all.

This was my entry #1 Ken

I’ve been wanting to do a version of Ken’s theme for several years primarily in a rock style, but never got around to it. This seemed like a good chance to do it in a DnB style.

In the challenge thread someone suggested that someone should try and make a rhythm with SFII samples and I thought “Challenge accepted”

I started with a MIDI file of the original music and then rearranged it and moved some stuff around to make it a little less busy. I also dropped the “C” section and just kept the “A” and “B” sections as they are the most memorable parts. All of the synth parts were recreated with Pigments except the bass which uses Polymer.

The intro is a sample chopped and bit crushed version of the arcade select screen.

The idea of the track is that it tells the full story from putting the coin in to selecting your character (You are Chun Li) to travelling to Ken’s stage all the way to the fight and your final victory.

It’s by far the most complex arrangement and track I’ve done to date so I’m really proud of it. My game was considerably stepped up from the first challenge, but so it seems was everybody else’s.

I learnt a huge amount from this and it was interesting recreating a track I’ve loved since I was a kid and getting to really understand it.

4 Likes