Drum Pattern Compendium

Hi there,
I know there are many of you when it comes to groove boxes and drum machines that just put down 4 kicks and their according companies. And most of the time and as much as I try to make something different, its the same thing over and over or its just pushing buttons as long as there is something I like.
But I would love to know a place to go were drum patterns of different kinds are shown and discussed, really up the rytm game.

Does anyone know such a page on the internet?
Or care to share grooves here?

7 Likes

We have some good threads on this subject:

10 Likes

I hope you get a specific answer to your question. I would like suggest something a bit different and still highly education: drum videos of people playing real drums.

3 Likes

There are plenty of resources online: pdf about rythm, drum pattern ideas, drum notation, midi packs of beatsā€¦ the latter one being the lazy way.

As always, the shortcut is to know what you do, longer to learn at the beginning (you can translate a groove you like on the machine) but then you are autonome.

@jcd has a lovely youtube channel with dozens of beats and drum machine magic. They also have a Patreon with many famous tracks notated.

4 Likes

https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/

http://808.pixll.de/

3 Likes

Beat Dissected is my home from home

https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/

I actually just bought their book ā€˜The Secrets of Dance Music Productionā€™

Edit: oh haha Jinx @melisshki !

5 Likes

Great minds!

2 Likes

Pocket+Operations+Booklet+(2019-07-01).pdf (710.8 KB)

5 Likes

Look at sites for drummers, such as Drumeo. I dont use any of them, but there are lots of patterns available, transcriptions of pretty much any song you can think of, if thats what youā€™re after.

Same!

Havenā€™t opened it yet though with all the samples Iā€™ve been chopping.

2 Likes

Same-sies!!

This is great. Itā€™s got good patterns and variation for all genres. Great to also get a good point to make variants of.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been going through a lot of drum books lately. One with a variety of patterns for electronic music is Electronic Dance Music Grooves by Josh Bess.

One thing I will say about drums though is there literally is no right or wrong. Only what is appropriate for a genre or not. So it can help to reference tracks in the same genre as what you are trying to make to see what is appropriate.

1 Like

I usually just listen to a lot of music with a lot of breaks so rap, jungle, funk, electro and late 90s/earlies 00s r&b. That genre is so underrated if you ask me, in terms of drum programming. Take Destinyā€™s Child Say My Name or even Thatā€™s So Raven opening titles song. Madness!

4 Likes

Two Hundred Drum Machine Patterns: 200 Drum Machine Patterns

1 Like

Waw, iā€™d rather spend 8 years learning to play the drums than having to listen this intentionally to find the drum pattern of it :wink:

Say my Name is fire. The drums are definitely great. Iā€™d never heard Ravenā€™s song but itā€™s slick too.

MOST POPULAR DRUM PATTERNS | Drum and Bass 2021 Tutorial - YouTube. This is informative. I still underestimate velocity (so does this guy). The ā€œghostā€ kicks at half volume sound tight.

1 Like