Drum Synth: Model:Cycles, MD, or Nord Drum? 2

Love my Digitakt, but I’ve been jonesing for a proper Drum Synth since I sold my MD years ago. This has me looking at used ones again, though it might be fun to switch things up and buy a Nord Drum 2 (they really sound fantastic). Both are going for $800-$900 on the used market.

Also considering a Model:Cycles. Seems to be an underrated option for drum synthesis at less than half the price. Opinions?

Division Dept. 01/IV? Paired with elektron sequencing and CC pLocks it can be like an analog nord drum 1.

Nord Drum 2 is incredible. But 3p is also incredible if space is not a problem.
You do not need to use the “famous noisy fx” and tbh there are more that enough exposed midi parameters for exotic modulations in the 3p.
IMHO nord drum really shines with its pads,and a kick trigger…Combine this with external sequencing ( especially fitted for elektron ) and you’ll have an awesome combo of expressiveness and power.

FYI I sold my nord drum 2 ( needed money unfortunately ), nord pad and stand,clamp for 550 euros shipped a few monthes ago.

Machinedrum is a different beast…16 tracks, sequencer, ram machines…Awesome but not so expressive…

1 Like

I’m happy with the Model:Cycles. I owned a NOrd Drum and albeit it sounds great, I never really clicked with it (owned twice) the cycles has that extra factor, and the effects are great, plus the Elektron sequencer and workflow.

What do you look for in a proper drum synth? What does it need to have?
There are plenty a bunch of them in all different kind and shapes.

2 Likes

I love the Nord Drum 3P and Model:Cycles. Machinedrum looks awesome but the used prices are way too expensive and will likely stay that way.

Thinking out of the box here - a Nord Modular. The G1 or even Micros can be had reasonably cheap, and you can create pretty complex patches for drum synths.

Practically speaking I can get between 6-12 independent triggerable drum synths depending on complexity, and all of that can be controlled with CC, with LFOs internally or not.

You could reasonably set up a single drum patch once with plenty of CC control, and just change the sounds using the Digitakt.

Probably not for everyone, but it’s a great piece of kit. The G2s are even better, but are even more expensive than the Machinedrum often.

Digitone also works great at a drum machine?

1 Like

Why did you rule out the AR?
Seems the perfect upgrade for your DT :wink:

2 Likes

…cycles is a no brainer with it’s actual price tag…

still no job left for takts midi options, though…
the more u stay within one sequencer, the faster gets ur workflow…

all nord drums are super sonic and expressive…so .why not a nord drum 1…?
that’s four voices, no fx, one mono out…but also the fastest drum to midi converter on the planet at the same time…so anything can become ur additional “pad” to hit on…
if u ever wanna go beyond midi programming and wanna hit for real…just in case…

on the other hand, two separate drum sequencers are not too bad to have…

and to be honest…u got a takt…why not looking for the thing that’s ment to be with it…
the tone…
drumsynthesis plus anything else u could whish for in digital synthesis wonderworld…

1 Like

I’d say I’m mostly looking for something to make interesting, metallic sounding percussion and effects to go over the more bread and butter samples I have in my Digitakt. Granted I have some fun samples loaded in there from Plonk, etc, but it’s not the same as having a real drum synth.

Digitone is nice, but I like the immediacy and relatively more straightforward nature of the Cycles. Also I’m already using a Virus C, which sends me in to enough synthesis patching wormholes as it is.

If it’s strictly for the sound of the drums I’d go with an ND2.

I’m really impressed by how it responds to velocity. It pretty noticeable in a good way. The sounds have a real solidness to them.

But if you’re looking for an all round bad ass sound tweaking drum machine, that’s self contained because of its sequencer etc, then the MD is the one.

Cycles definitely excels at metallic. Plus, if you pick it up second hand and end up not liking it, the resale value will basically be the same.

I had one, sampled the hell out of it, and moved it on – I really loved the chord machine too

Perhaps an LXR could be an option then too.

1 Like

The Cycles is really good for metallic sounds. Naturally, the Metal machine is metallic, but I’d say that Perc and Tone can be pretty metallic, too. It’s all FM, after all!

You do need to sit down with it for a while and have a patient hand to go through the sweet spots. And don’t forget to explore the LFO! The reverb is really good, too, and adds another dimension to sounds. I’m absolutely in love with my Cycles, so I’m very biased, though…

The Nord Drums are maybe the most realistic sounding of the bunch. I’m planning to get one eventually, too.

1 Like

Another vote for Cycles, obviously :smiley:

Having something you can take away from the setup and still make sequences with is very useful.

I got a volca drum for this purpose - already have a an elektron sampler on the Digitakt, which made the Cycles less appealing. Drum is fun, gets pretty wild, and is so damn cheap.

The sequencer in the Drum is actually fun by itself too.

The more I look in to the M:C the more I think it’s the way to go. It’s basically a stripped down MachineDrum/Digitone, which is exactly what I’m looking for. Not sure why I always assumed it was more of a synth when it’s such a hot little drum machine. The price doesn’t hurt either.

6 Likes

…there u go…good decision…nothing better for tonal percussiveness out there than cycles…

1 Like