DSI Rev2

All of these philmakesnoise videos are absolutely brilliant! Each one has inspired long patch design sessions of my own.

1 Like

Here is the latest beautiful patch set:

8 Likes

Those patches are extremely good. I generally donā€™t get patches, as sound design is one of my favorite parts of the creative process. However, these were too good to pass up. I grabbed them.

Rev2ers,

1. if you have your rev2 connected to stereo outboard fx, which one is truly transformative/indispensable for you?

2. if you dont have stereo outboard fx, what single fx pedal do you think rev2 would benefit most from?

I have a cba dark world, red panda tensor, analog drive (and all sound good on rev) but theyre not stereo and the stereo options on the rev2 are so vast itā€™s impossible not to use ehā€¦

I think my rev2 would benefit most from a really good stereo reverb pedal. At the moment im very interested in the new universal audio reverberator for its emt 140 emulationā€¦

1 Like

I like the H9 Max, and the Poly Digit. Those are actually the only two I ever ran it through, so Iā€™m sure there are plenty more out there that it would sound excellent through.

2 Likes

yeah what J3RK suggests may be the most flexible option. failing that, Iā€™d probably just choose a reverb. I generally put reverb last in the chain. so use whatever built in effects you want, then add reverb as needed.

2 Likes

Well i asked didnt i!?! Loopop vid makes it very desirable. I wasnt looking for a $700 pedal but i did just return the subharmonicon so my budget doth allow for such extravagances:).

Its form factor is perfect for my setup as well.

Did you end up getting rid of it? I have had so many expensive pedals and often get rid of them.

Not necessarily a pedal, but the A4ā€™s FX truly are something + not-static at all, if you so desire. :smiley:

2 Likes

I still have it, and use it as a send on my BlueBox. So anything can go through it. Unfortunately I donā€™t have my Rev2 anymore. Not because I didnā€™t want it. I just had to cut my studio space in half. I may grab the desktop version, as itā€™s my favorite analog poly.

1 Like

I am debating getting one but Iā€™ve got a question about the version.
I donā€™t play keys, got a Keystep 37 to help with chords, but I do really enjoy playing/fiddling letting go of theory and just hear.
Iā€™ve got limited space, the module would crowd my desk quite a bit but it would fit. The normal version I would have to buy a pianostand for next to my desk. They have the same price second hand!

With both costing the same; why would I go for the module? The keys version works the same right? In regards to getting controlled by OT

If theyā€™re the same price (or near enough) and you have space for the keys, get the keys. Nothing beats the immediacy of being able to play it (even standalone) without faffing around with extra cables/controllers/mapping etc etc.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the next pack :slight_smile:

6 Likes

To each his ownā€¦ I prefer having the same Arturia keybed that Iā€™m used to across different modules. I also feel that helps me hear/feel the sonic differences between each unit better, because the tactile feel definitely flavours my perception.

Iā€™m on the cusp of getting a Rev2.

How worthwhile is the 16-voices over the 8-voices?
I have a Peak thatā€™s 8-voice and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever thought ā€˜I wish this had 16 voicesā€™ā€¦ whatā€™s different about the Rev2, if anything?

1 Like

layers (and splits) mean only 4 voices which is sometimes too few. Having said that I only have the 8 voice version and thatā€™s enough for me (I have other polys).

The strange thing about the Rev2 is that in unison you have straight monoā€¦ no poly anymoreā€¦ so sad!

I donā€™t have a Rev2, sadly. I can only afford u-he Repro-5, which is also 8 voices max. Iā€™m like you, though, Iā€™ve never felt the need for more voices - in fact, I often lower the voice count for some creative voice stealing and to thin out some big, long-release pad sounds, etc. Also, thereā€™s a voice expander kit for the Rev2 that you could get at a later date if you ever run into limitations.

1 Like

Yes, and I would hedge my bets on the price of the expanders coming down at some point in the future, especially if thereā€™s a surplus of them kicking around with retailers when the Rev2 gets discontinuedā€¦

1 Like

I have the 8 voice now for 2 years and exclusively use it in multitimbral mode aka only 4 voices for 2 layers at the same time. So far I didnā€™t miss 8 extra voices, although I originally had the same plan as you. Even with 4 voices the sound is very rich, so much that itā€™s very often too dominant compared to my A4 . Based on that, maybe a good idea is to get the 8 voice first and see how it works in your setup and how you would use it. If 4 voices is enough, you already have essentially 2 rev2 in one box with the 8 voice. If you need 8 voices get another rev2 for a fraction of the money in form of the expander. Only in case you really need the 16 voices you might have wasted 100$ or so by not buying the 16 voice right away.

2 Likes

So is this completely different patches to the RevField pack?

Ok this makes sense, thank you.

With my Peak as a reference, if I could run 2 instances of it, I would probably like an extra 8 voicesā€¦ but I would also take an extra layer of it ā€˜as isā€™ if I could.
Also hearing that sound pack is making me want the Rev2ā€¦ I think I also want a Sub37 or Sub25, then Iā€™ll be fulfilled for all synth voices (ā€¦for now).