DSI Rev2

I had the 16 voice up until a few months ago and had part one of those patches. Personally i liked the extra voices at my disposal. There not needed most of the time but every now and then you get a patch that requires them. Its a nice keyboard but i wish i had gone for the OB-6. At the moment im not looking for a Poly.

1 Like

Sounds pretty similar to me. Seems to be a lot of overlap.

3 Likes

Yep. Nice patches though. Just not sure if I want to use up another bank in this case.

Might be cool if they were put on the 2nd layer of the revfields? Would also get rid of the super annoying init patch sequenced riff that was left on the revfield patches.

So, I have an 8-voice Rev2 desktop arriving later (ā€¦.and a Moog Sub25)ā€¦ canā€™t wait to try the Rev2 out in particular.

4 Likes

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy it! I love mine!

2 Likes

Iā€™m really liking the Rev2 so far, really intuitive to use and sounds great.
I currently have it A/Bā€™d playing next to my Peak, which is fun.

Question for Rev2 users- what Pot Mode do you use? And any particular reason you use/donā€™t use any? Iā€™m favouring ā€˜Passthruā€™ I think, to avoid sound jumps.

It also makes me appreciate Peakā€™s ā€˜saved valueā€™ display when you touch any control on itā€¦ I wish everything had that!

Iā€™m using ā€œJumpā€. I prefer to hear the change as soon as I turn the knob.

1 Like

Jump in the studio, passthru on stage !

2 Likes

Not sure that this is what you have in mind, but there is a ā€˜Compareā€™ button on the rev2 which lets you directly jump to the parameters of the saved patch.

1 Like

Remember the Global save. You may wonder why you keep getting the same patch everytime you turn it on.

But hitting ā€˜Compareā€™ changes the sound from what I can tellā€¦ holding down ā€˜MISC PARAMSā€™ and touching the relevant control does what Iā€™m looking for, but itā€™s a two-hand job that you can do with one on the Peak.

Also, I find the Pot Mode showing itself most when jumping between Layers when using Stack A+Bā€¦ so making changes to the Cut Off on Layer A, then flipping to Layer B quick to change that makes it ā€˜jumpā€™ā€¦ all teething things Iā€™ll probably figure out.

Is there a way to make the Cut Off control both layers at once, and take from their relative values??

2 Likes

yeahā€¦ one thing that annoys me about the Rev2 (which is a very short list!) is that it doesnā€™t show a marker on the display when you pass through the stored value for the patch. on the OB-6 and Prophet 5 (and many other DSI/Sequential machines; my Evolver had this evenā€¦) when you move a parameter away from the stored value, and then back to or through that value, itā€™ll put a little dot on the screen to indicate this. the Rev2 doesnā€™t do that. it displays the current numeric value for the parameter (which is dumb in Jump mode, because I can see the physical location already).

the ridiculous thing is the OB-6/P6/P5/Evolver/etc do this even with those dinky little displays. the Rev2 has that nice display where you can assign full names and everything. but they canā€™t give you a marker when youā€™re at the stored value or show it instead of/in addition to the current value?

the one thing you can do, as @ande mentions, is hit Compare and itā€™ll display the stored value for whatever your ā€œactiveā€ parameter is (what itā€™s displaying on the screen). this will change the sound too, though.

1 Like

yeah theyā€™re different patches. I think the first set had layers with some patches though, while this one doesnā€™t. perhaps intentionally, to give you more space to use the other layer for another voice.

I was enjoying just playing the new patchā€™s YT video while working yesterday. nice to have some relaxing and beautiful sounds going in the background.

So this is my eveningā€¦. :wave::sunglasses:

Iā€™ve been recreating sounds on the new Rev2 from my favourite stored sounds on my Analog Four, Peak and Pigmentsā€¦ I figured this would be a good way to find my way around it, using an init patch for each one.
I can get in the ballpark quite fast, making me appreciate some of my A4 sounds a lot too!

I do have an exploratory question;

Is it right that you canā€™t assign an LFO to the OSC Fine Tune?
I donā€™t know if Iā€™m doing something wrong or missing something, but it seems I can only assign the coarse ā€˜OSC 1/2 FREQā€™ to an LFOā€¦. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Hey that looks fun. Infinite pleasure on that desk.
I believe that it is true that fine tuning is not an accessible lfo destination. Slop is though and subtle movements on that have a similar effect. Iā€™m trying to recall, also, if the modulation envelope can get more subtle freq movements or not, because the lfoā€™s can be routed there (maybe not directly, but through the mod matrix?).

Cheers, mate.

1 Like

A Rev2 and a Peak!! The dream team! In one of my GASsier recurring day-dreams, I replace my Rev2 16-voice keys with an 8-voice Rev2 module, a Peak and a nice controller.

Echoing @Noumenaut, I donā€™t think either of the Osc fine-tunes is available as a modulation destination. If you apply an LFO to the OSC FREQ, and set the amount very low, it might get close to what you want. I just tried it on a the Basic Patch and found that an LFO Amount of 3 gave a maximum pitch offset very close to the max of OSC FINE TUNE. Itā€™s a bit rough. Set at 1 I could barely tell the pitch was changing.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just tried this, and itā€™s coolā€¦ itā€™s obviously slightly less controlled than modulating the Tuning, but it has a similar effect that I likeā€¦ :+1:

Itā€™s really interesting having them side by side, theyā€™re similar in so many ways but still differentā€¦ Iā€™m already thinking/dreaming of having the Peaks fixed Chorus, Delay and Reverb on the Rev2.

Iā€™ve also had my Analog Four acting as a 4-voice poly tonight to complete this little trio, and it makes you realise how powerful the A4 is, and how different it sounds to the Rev2/Peak when doing the same kind of job/soundā€¦ I may do some recordings of settings on each instrument set as close as possible, you know, just becauseā€¦ (I could include my Deepmind in that mix tooā€¦).

3 Likes

neither oscillator fine tune is listed as a mod destination in the manual. so no, sorry. :frowning:

however they do send/receive CC values. and thereā€™s a NRPN assigned to them. so you can modulate them externally if you really want to.

1 Like

The workaround is to:

1. Reduce the step count of a gated seq lane to 1 (set step 2 to reset)
  2. Set step 1 to spit out a value of 1.
  3. Choose the same gated seq lane as a mod-source in the matrix to mod either osc freq.
  4. Choose that slot amount as a destination in the next mod slot to then mod with whichever source you desire.
3 Likes