DSI Rev2

Decisions… and one never knows for sure until he try : )

But 2 keyboards setup especially if one is capable of splits is overall a killer experience for composing and performance.

Here we go, the almighty Jexus:

6 Likes

Wow this is so weird, I’ve had my eyes on the Rev2 lately and just the other day was wishing it would get the Jexus treatment. Awesome.

1 Like

Great sounds

Jexus part 2 video demo

4 Likes

Super cool. Loved the Ad breaks.

Love watching his stuff but not sure any of its for me…. Maybe I should just go check out the patches and how they’re made up though.

The problem with Jexus is that he’s such a good player it kinda puts me off a little bit, because I can’t play for shit.

There’s no denying both his musical and sound design chips though, guy’s legit, really gets the best out of whatever he’s fucking with.

2 Likes

Apologies if this has been answered above and I’ve skipped over it, but is there a way of merging or copying two different patches over the 2 layers?

@sid6581 If I understand what you want to do correctly, there is this method for copying a layer from one patch to another etc:

“To load a new program to a layer, select the layer you wish to load to, press the MISC PARAMS button, navigate to the last menu item and use the BANK and PROGRAM encoders to load a new program to the selected layer.”

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

1 Like

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=1637.0

Is this pretty common ? Can’t seem to find much else on the web . I’m experiencing this with mine and not sure if it’s something I can get over

Ok, maybe I’m just not trying hard enough, but do you have an actual sound that one can listen to?

This could be a lot of things, from normal analog VCA clicks, to a software bug, to needing calibration, to many other things.

Some of these are expected behavior from most analog synths. Even though the oscillators in the Rev2 are digitally controlled, they are still free running by default (I believe), which means the amplitude of the waveform being cut off or opened up rapidly by the VCA can result in a click. This is typical with VCO based synths. I believe you can set the Rev2 to reset the wave on each key press, but then you lose the VCO-like behavior.

Anyway, without a sound, we couldn’t tell you whether this is normal, or a problem. I don’t want to read through a lot of speculation, if I could just hear it instead.

1 Like

Sidenote but I’m picking one up tomorrow! Will be my workhorse synth (only hardware synth). Can’t wait… was a hard choice over the Take 5.

1 Like

@Skurdd That was my thoughts too but this sound is bugging me

@J3RK Try out F2P7 factory preset , boombox bap I’m having the same noise as the guy in the sequential forum mentioned

I don’t own a Rev 2 (yet…) but I have had noise/distortion problems on Mopho Desktop & X4 which pretty much are the same signal path.

I contacted Dave Smith support re: mopho desktop and they mentioned the noise floor of the device was -80db. This reference point helped my gain staging and now I rarely hear the amp clipping… Rev2 noise floor is probably different

I try and keep amp envelop amount + modulation summed to around 64-96, amp setting between 100-127 almost always clip

Also; what’s the thing people hate about the curtis filter aside from it being a ladder filter?

I think it’s a great sounding filter actually. It hasn’t been completely determined what type of filter it is. It’s actually more likely a cascaded four pole, just with an odd topology (cap setup more common in ladders.) Either way, it’s a very nice sounding filter. Maybe a little bit plain when compared to the 2040/2140 styles, or discrete cascaded four pole of the P6 for examples. However, provided that it’s fully calibrated (sometimes takes 2-3 consecutive calibrations on the Rev2 in my experience (with the knobs set at their default positions) it’s great, and can get snarly, or bubbly very nicely.

I don’t have either of my Rev2s anymore. I never noticed anything that I thought was an issue, and I dug deeply on them. I don’t use presets, (though I did grab the J3P0 ones, since they’re incredible).

If a little click on one preset is enough to get you to hate the machine, then I’m not sure what to say. does it do it elsewhere? Is it a common problem all over the place, or are you just getting worked up over an edge case? Are you really going to use F2P7 in one of your own tracks?

There are tons of legitimate reasons in the analog world that something like this can happen. Turn a couple of knobs, and it probably goes away. IMO this “issue” is likely blown out of proportion, unless it crops up in all kinds of situations and is obviously some kind of glaring bug.

Based on what little information there is (and no sound examples (yet)) I’m inclined to think it’s a non-issue.

Delete F2P7, then create about 30 new sounds. If this click shows up in more than 1 patch, submit a tick to Sequential.

I’m not being an apologist by any means, but I think this issue is a bit alarmist. (if I may use the “ists” here) Create some data to work from, and don’t go by one goofy preset.

Edit: Oh, and I’m not trying to sound like a jerk either. :smiley: I’m just trying to put this into perspective, and try to push for some audible data to work from. I may be able to suggest some things to mitigate or remove that completely, if I knew what I was dealing with.

3 Likes