DSI Rev2

Wondering how many Rev2 users here paid extra for the editor app?
Are there any other alternatives for remote editing?

Not yet (after almost a year of Rev2 ownership). I donā€™t do as much sound design as I anticipated. The bi-timbral ā€œmulti-modeā€ is fiddly enough to make me wish I had the software thoā€™.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a Rev 2, but I purchased the plug-in editor for Mopho Desktop (my first hardware synth). It kind of helped a bit with the limited interface, but once I started mapping it to midi controllers and got a DT etc I stopped using the plug-in. I got x4 and havenā€™t even really used the free editorā€¦

Iā€™ve been thinking about upgrading to Rev 2 for many years, if I got one I doubt I would buy the editor.

Depends on your needs

Soundtower?
Yes, I got that the day I took my Rev.2 home.
I found it mighty useful at first, just to see and edit both layers. I find it useful now as a librarian for multiple banks, but the saving and loading of files to and from your computer is weirdly thought out and still makes me think wtf. The morphing function is pretty good, having options to include or protect parameters in the morphing process.
There was another program being in the Sequential forum, called codeknobs, which I havenā€™t used
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2192.0.html

When I had my Rev2, I liked the CodeKnobs editor the best.

1 Like

I have the Rev.2 (DCO) and Prophet~6 (VCO).
If I want to make the Rev.2 sound like a Prophet~6 patch, it pretty much sounds identical. If I play either one through a crappy mixer or amp, they both sound crappy. Through a good mixer/amp, they both sound excellent.

2 Likes

itā€™s interesting you say this

I have a Rev2 and like it a lot, but my buddy has a Prophet 6. I went to his place last month and played the Prophet 6 and found that even a default init patch already sounds really really good. I think all I did was adjust some pulsewidth and maybe add some release and I was already inspired by the sound. My other friend joked ā€œyeah I would just program that call it a day and feel proud of myselfā€

I havenā€™t had that experience with my Rev2. It generally starts out fairly harsh and I have to tame it and sculpt it.

3 Likes

My experience with the Rev2 was somewhat similar.

I think it had an interesting character. Sort of dry, and a little cutting at times. I got some interesting pads, and some decent leads out of it. I never really enjoyed the bass I got out of it. I guess the reason I sold was because it would take so much work to get it to sound how I wanted, but thatā€™s just my personal flavor preference. We all have our favorite sounds and whatnot. I just clicked more with synths like the OB-6, P6, P5, etc. I do think that the Rev2 has a unique sound in the lineup, and if other people love the sound, then go for it. We are spoiled with options and flavors these days.

1 Like

Same here, talking about the init patch, but it doesnā€™t take much to get there.
On the Rev.2 initial patch I share your opinion, but I usually swap the saw to a tri wave and dial in shape mod to some extent. Itā€™s a weird starting point, I know, but it kind of gets me in a different sphere. After all, I donā€™t need it to sound like the Prophet~6 sitting below it.

After hearing my friendā€™s Prophet 6 I wish I had one sitting below my Rev 2 :upside_down_face:

But alas, I donā€™t think I could ever buy a synth that has only one LFOā€¦Iā€™m too twiddly.

Itā€™s not the best knife in the draw for a Bass line by a long shot. For drones though, Iā€™ve come across a few that I canā€™t replicate on the Prophet~6 or OB~6. Like the patch I made for the synth lead to ā€œSend me an angelā€, playing that one two to three octaves down is the most amazing Bass drone I ever heard.

1 Like

Yeh, I could go nuts with that Low Frequency Expander module.

The prophet 6 has an LFO expander module?

Fits the Prophet~6 and OB~6

1 Like

Wondering how do you like them when playing both at the same time / using both in one track? Do they ā€œmixā€ well together?

Love my P6 and want to add another synth to complement it in live setup (like playing pads with Rev and Solo with P6 ).

Considering Rev 2 16 voice (also want more polyphony sometimes ). But doubt a bit that ā€œclose soundingā€ synth will work good together.

Maybe itā€™s better to add more ā€œsterileā€ and ā€œthinā€ synth like Nord A1 or Prophet X / Waldorf Quantum / Korg Wavestate ā€¦ ? Isnā€™t the Rev + P6 combo sounds TOO FAT?

At the same time since I got used to DSI quality, design and organic sound, I think itā€™s nice to have 2 poly machines with same design / interface logicā€¦ it will be a bit hard to love another synth with menus, or just not as well built.

Nice they fixed the issue with NRPN that were still received when CC were selected. Had an issue with the Digitakt sending a message that was interpreted as both.

I approach it in the same way as when playing guitar or Bass with two or three other guitarists. They pretty much sound exactly the same, but have their individual roles as leads and rhythms, and donā€™t play in the same octave at the same time. And EQ on top of all that too.

As for selecting a non sequential synth? I donā€™t know. I do have a Lead A1, and used a Peak many times. Both sounds much like the Rev.2 to me.

2 Likes

I must have dodged that. Though I only sequence notes from a pyramid. Nothing fancy.

Even in guitar bands itā€™s good to have different guitars types like Fender/Gibson or Humbucker/Singles for more 3D band sound. Some type of guitars mixes extremely well togetherā€¦ but of course arranging is more important.

Also consider A1ā€¦ more voices, but no sequencer (which I use a lot) still a bit cheaper than Revā€¦ Seems like ā€žapples and orangesā€œ

Yeh, more filters on the A1 too. And they really do sound distinctively different.
And 4 layers vs 2 on the Rev.2.

1 Like