DSI Rev2

You’re right, support is not the proper name for it (no native English here). The support is good indeed, I experienced myself. Correction made!

It’s still a shame the vintage knob is missing, but you might be right it’d get the Rev2 in Pro6 waters :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes the vintage voice modeling video is great because you can easily hear the difference.
But wouldn’t that be exactly what the slop knob is doing? At least regarding the pitch offsets per note?

The waiting is hard. Thomann should have sent mine today but I didn’t receive any mail. Much anticipated!

vintage knob and osc slop/detune are not the same. I may forget the details a bit but I think it’s like slop/detune are just randomness added to the pitch values. whereas vintage mode does that but it applies it to the digital envelope response as well as individual voices. so you’ll get something where it sounds like each voice is slightly different than the others, as you likely would with vintage synths that are out of calibration and where each voice was on its own circuit board.

the naming does make it a little weird… they basically brought this new “vintage mode” approach to the Prophet 5/10 first. and then later added it to the OB6 and P6, where on the OB6 it’s accessed via the “detune” knob and the P6 it’s via the “slop amount” knob. in both cases, the front panel “slop” variant is the default, and you have to change a setting to get “vintage mode” instead.

hope that all makes sense…

Thanks for the info. No I was referring to the vintage voice modeling technique using the gate sequencer to offset Osc pitch vs. the slop knob which should be doing exactly that just in a more random way.

Is it to get a more specific offset per note?

OSC Slop is way more obvious and ‘tuney’ compared to Vintage Mode or the gated method… I think Slop mods more parameters and at wider values.
VVM is more controlled and consistent sounding.
There’s nothing to stop you adding OSC Slop on top of VVM gated mod too, that can also sound great.
I like having Velocity increase Slop, keep the amount value low and it’s great for getting expressive and slamming keys to make it kick in.

1 Like

This is one of the great virtues of this synth. You can get it to those vintage sweet spots easily. But you can be surgical about it if you like and make it imprecise with precision. And then you can also go over the top and send it in a swampy spaceship to another galaxy too.

3 Likes

Question; do you guys prefer to sequence it via your DAW or via an Elektron box?

I prefer to play it live tbh and catch the audio rather than midi… but if I do it’ll be in Ableton.

I know this is Elektronauts, but I find sequencing poly synths from Elektron devices to be a pain in the arse tbh… it’s ok for mono voices, particularly basses, but you can’t beat a Piano Roll with a poly, it’s so much easier to see voicing and note lengths.

2 Likes

It’s so easy and immediate to sequence anything with Digitone so I’ll be using that any day. I have the Oxi One too with may be great with the Rev 2.

Agreed. I got the Desktop version and if I use the Digitone I am limited to 4 notes anyways. Ableton seems like a breeze in that regard. I sometimes feel like leaving my PC off but then I get these very basic loops.

That’s a cool technique. I wish I would have known about it when I had my Rev2. I feel like I was using up all the LFO’s just to loosen up it’s stiffness a bit. Great video too, explaining how it works.

1 Like

:laughing:

4 Likes

I’m having a great time exploring the possibilities of this amazing synth.
I made this layered patch and think it sounds pretty cool. I love that you can layer 2 different patches like this and control both of them as one.

6 Likes

Layering the same patch twice, hard-panned, to make it binaural

1 Like