DSI Rev2

As above.
Also, I noticed (especially earlier firmware) that OSC balance affected the noise level too, and saw wave was noisiest. And Effects, even if not in use, switch it on, turn its level down and switch it off again. Again I think that was earlier firmware bug.

1 Like

Got a good offer on a 16 voice desktop unit. I‘m tempted to jump the gun and upgrade from my 8 voices, since the 16 desktop is almost never for sale on the used market.

Only thing that could keep me back: is the 16 voice a lot harder to tame in a mix due to the voice count? I think I would mainly use it in multi mode with two patches of 8 voices, but also for some long release pads with 16 voices from time to time.

If you‘re playing monophonic with just releases overlapping, I think 8 voices can be fine. In case you want to layer sounds and or play 3+ notes at a time with overlapping releases, most probably you would hit voice stealing issues rather early.

1 Like

is the price better than just buying the voice upgrade? I think installation just requires a screwdriver. plus then you don’t have to deal with selling yours.

2 Likes

Yes, a lot better. Voice card is really expensive. Edit: bought the 16 voice module. I think I should now be set and hopefully never have to buy/sell any synth ever again.

2 Likes

How have you found having the 16-voice over the 8-voice?
Are you noticing much difference in your use?

I didn’t have much time to spend with it yet, as I have other projects right now that don’t involve Rev2. From my short experiences noodling around, I would say you have to adjust to how massive sounds with long releases tend to get vs. the 8 voice version. I guess that’s the appeal of it for a lot of people.

I didn’t really use it in multimode though, which is the main use case why I bought the 16 voice version. I think this is where the benefit of 8 voices will come out, for my music I wouldn’t need 16 voices for only one layer. If there was an option to allocate voices, the 8 voice version would be sufficient for me. But there isn’t, so it’s nice to just not care about voice stealing anymore.

Sorry that I can’t offer anything more helpful yet.

8 voice is great for most typical poly-synth stuff. If you start doing a lot of layering, or complex patches though, the extra voices come in very handy. I really enjoyed digging into this synth, but honestly, short of some crazy open-VCA drone things I did, the difference between 8 and 16 voices was pretty small overall. I think if you were going to be performing with it, you could make good use of 16 though by having splits set up for different parts of the music.

1 Like

I’ve been reading through this thread and listened to Krzysztof’s amazing patches many times and yesterday I ordered a Rev2-16 Desktop :smiley:
I want to make my own patches but love the BOC style of Krzysztof’s patches and they are a fantastic demo of this synths sound and capabilities. Jexus’ patches too.

Wanted the OB-6 for years but this Rev2 can sound pretty close and seems to have a much greater sonic range. And so much more modulation features.

I was pleased to read J3PO’s opinion about it:
“The Prophet Rev 2 has become one of my favorite synths of all time, due to its incredible modulation capabilities and pure sound. Although the Rev 2 sometimes gets overshadowed by its more expensive siblings such as the Prophet 6, OB-6, and Prophet 5/10, I have found that with a little time and careful programming, the Rev 2 stands up to the others. In many situations, it actually outshines them.”

Looking much forward to receive it and start making my own patches with such a glorious analog synth!

3 Likes

Can I expect to use the Rev2 bi-timbrally? Like sequencing it from 2 midi tracks on Digitone?

2 Likes

Yes, you can do everything bi-timbrally. It’s basically like having two synths with half the voice each when in split mode.

I usually got more use out of layered mode, but both are pretty amazing depending on what you need at the time.

Honestly though, I typically just used mine mono-timbrally. Still need to pick up the desktop version at some point. I don’t have room for the keys anymore (which is why I sold mine) but I miss it.

3 Likes

I’ll give another shout out to the keybed on the rev2 as well. Totally understand the many reasons people opt for the desktop module. But the keybed is so nice. I still use it as my main midi controller because the feel is so great.

4 Likes

That’s good news J3RK.
I can easily imagine the awesomeness of using it bi-timbrally - extending my Digitone with 2 8-voice analog synths :star_struck: And yes playing with stacked patches sounds great too. Just read that you can actually edit both layers simultaneously with linked mode! Sweet! That’s like having Control All on the Rev2 :grinning:

2 Likes

Digitone and rev2 together is total bliss mate. Enjoy!

2 Likes

One of my favorite examples:

3 Likes

I run my REV2 through my DN. I love having the DN’s effects on the REV2. Sounds so good!

Generally I use it bi-timbrally as well…one thing I do find is that it’s super easy for the REV2 to totally dominate a mix, and stacking multiple layers tends to create pretty overwhelming patches. So many modulations available with just one layer already.

One content creator I recommend highly is Creative Spiral. He has an approach to “voice modeling” for the REV2, which allows you to use the gated sequencer to simulate more authentically more vintage gear. Basically, you can slightly modify each voice’s pitch per oscillator, as well as the attack and decay for each voice. Once you get a sense of it, it’s straightforward to set up, and really it’s striking how much you can approach that variable VCO sound.

Of course you can keep it clean, and get that modern, more cold DCO vibe as well. It’s pretty bewildering how flexible the REV2 is.

I wish there were more in-depth sound design tutorials out there for it. I am not a particularly good sound designer, but as a hobbyist it’s fun to make my own patches anyway, and any tips and tricks I can pick up are always appreciated.

6 Likes

Totally. I sold the keys because I just don’t have the space and thus ratel used it. But the keyboard was incredible, especially the aftertouch. If I had more space, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I‘m surprised that this thread is only around 300+ posts. The Rev2 is such an incredibly powerful instrument. It also delivers on all of the crazy modulation stuff that people here love the A4 for - but with an undisputedly great sound right out of the gate. I don’t use it too often yet. But everytime I return to it and start on an init patch, I‘m blown away by how great a pure saw or square already sound. Is the brassy filter really such a big turnoff for Elektronauts?

3 Likes

The Gated (Keystep) Seq is an amazingly powerful tool… it’s only when I started playing with Creative Spiral’s technique that I realised that side of the Rev2 was available.

His fundamental trick is to give slight pitch deviation (like you’d get on VCO’s) to each voice triggered.
It works much more subtly than Osc Slop, and it’s quite close to ‘Vintage Mode’ that Sequential introduced on the Prophet 6.
If you want wavery BoC type sounds, Osc Slop and lfo-modding your Osc Fine’s will do that easy on the Rev2.
If you want genuine vintage emulation, the Gated Seq method is the one.

Once you learn the Gated Seq approach, it opens the Rev2 to all kinds of per-step/note modulation possibilities… and modulation poly-rhythms are next level cool!

I’ve found a new level of love for my Rev2’s lately (I have a desktop and a keys (and fully agree about the keybed being superb))… I don’t think there’s a better ‘all round’ synth.

4 Likes

Fantastic find indeed! Bought 2 soundsets to support the guy who figured this out.

I do always wonder why sequential never bothered to implement a vintage knob. Would’ve been possible, I reckon, and frees up the gated sequencer.

The rev2 didn’t really get a lot of TLC from DSI/Sequential when it comes to updates and improvements. Strange, for what seems to be a big hit…

They’re far away from Elektron quality sustained support, that’s for sure

maybe just to distinguish it from the Prophet 6 and 5/10?

well their support is quite good. I’ve heard of them sending new circuit boards to Evolver owners when the machine is ~20 years old. which… I don’t think Elektron even supports the Machinedrum + Monomachine these days. but yeah, Sequential don’t do a ton of OS updates years later. other than actually the feature you’re asking for: OB6 and P6 got vintage mode when they were around five years old.

2 Likes