DSI Tempest

Surprised to see this one get the Bad Gear treatment! But, as he’s said in a few videos, the criteria for being bad gear to him is if he can fill that screen with real complaints from people online — people do complain online quite a bit!

1 Like

This is exactly it - it’s not ‘bad gear’ because it’s on the show. ‘Controversial Gear’ or ‘Polarising Gear’ doesn’t have the same ring to it.

4 Likes

Right. “Bad Gear” is just a way better name for the show. I don’t know if one of the above names or something like “Misunderstood Gear” would get as many views! And, in his case, I want him to get views and keep making these. You can tell he works his ass off in every episode he puts out. It’s really entertaining and an original idea. I remember being really happy when he reached 10k subscribers and I hope he keeps going.

3 Likes

With that criteria, he should just call it Gear

2 Likes

Seeing as he will eventually have received everything, it’s basically a meme at this point. :rofl:

1 Like

Or… Ausrüstung

1 Like

Just watched the Bad Gear vid. I think it’s a very decent quick review of the Tempest with some really nice sounds and patterns in the jams. Gotta say Bad Gear is probably the only YT synth channel that has actually grown on me a bit. Really didn’t like the concept/style at first but I’ve quite enjoyed some of his musical examples of the gear he’s presented. As expected, this vid didn’t help with my Tempest GAS.

2 Likes

It’s probably my favorite. We have a joke at my house that it’s not the weekend yet until I’ve seen the latest Bad Gear.

I like seeing what he can do with “bad gear”. Most of his jams are far better than a lot of the jams I see online with higher end stuff. In the case is the Tempest, this is already high end in my opinion, often he does some impressive stuff with really cheap instruments

5 Likes

At first glance it’s ticking all the boxes. A mono-lexical title that’s easy to spell; four glorious letters of impecible clarity and let’s not forget an uncanny association with the late 90’s UK rave scene

9 Likes

Jesus H Christ this person is unbelievable on the Tempest!!

10 Likes

Sounds like he has the incedental music from every holllywood film from 1987 on each pad.

2 Likes

Then I done and bought one.

4 Likes

Great jam, I just bought a tempest so going through this thread. Also planning to sell pulsar to balance the books. But maybe not……I am curious to see as I scroll down if you held on to both……

Sadly i Held on to non…

Ive realized that What Ive been looking for all these years is a Monomachine and Ive come to the conclusion that there is nothing like it out there still…

Still both are great machines especially Tempest, such a deep and flexible drum machine!

4 Likes

So, I just received my Tempest today. And after using Elektrons and one knob per function synths like Prophet 6, Perfourmer and Matriarch pretty much exclusively for the past couple of years, I felt terribly lost tonight when I switched it on for the first time and just tried to make some sounds on it. I’d say I’m equally scared and excited about the challenge - really took me back to the first time I laid my hands on the OT or MnM. The first sounds were utter garbage but I’ll be patient with this one.

There is some familiarity from the UI of Prophet 12 module I had for a bit last year but it’ll certainly be a learning process. And that starts tomorrow with updating to the last OS and reading the manual properly.

5 Likes

Sounds almost like when I received my Machinedrum. I was not lost but just couldn’t get anything useful out of it. Now I love it. I can imagine it must be hard when you’re so used to the MD.

I hope you’ll manage and make good use of it. Also curious to hear the sounds you’ll make with it.

2 Likes

My advice is to go into “Sounds” mode (in both “pad function” and “screens”), and use the arrow buttons to run the menus on the screen a few times, until you start to get an overview and feel for the architecture.

You’ll notice that the up and down buttons follow the panel layout, which in turn follows the actual signal path; and the left and right buttons simply expose additional parameters for each of the pages.

Once you’ve got a visual in your mind of where everything is, start using the buttons on the panel to jump directly to the module that you want.

Everything else is pretty straight forward, as labelled.

In Sounds mode, record parameters are on the Pads screen, synth parameters are on the Sounds screen. In Beats mode, performance parameters on the Pads screen, sound mangling parameters are on the Sounds screen.

Have fun. :upside_down_face:

Cheers!

7 Likes

Got mine yesterday, have to say it is in excellent condition, not used too much by previous owner. Work is got in the way but tmrw I’ll get stuck in. Thanks for the tips above.

6 Likes

The Tempest used to sit in the back of my mind as a synth I may get again, then Perkons showed up and completely obliterated that desire.

They’re not really comparable devices, in terms of design aesthetic or philosophy.

The Tempest is designed for a completely different objective. If you’re a synthesist and sound designer, the only three machines that constitute fully open-architecture synth/drum machines are the Tempest and the Analog Four, and more recently perhaps, the Digitone. And even then, the Tempest is the only one, of the lot, that can accommodate triplets and odd time signatures, and be played dynamically via proper pads.

Any drum machine with fixed parameters is a different beast altogether.

Cheers!

5 Likes