DT controls DN does it matter which powers on first? Arp sync inconsistent

Does the start up order influence the arp sync? I have my midi controller going into digitakt, and digitakt is controlling digitone with clock and transport sync, mutes are all done on DT. In short, there’s no issues with set up, everything does what it’s supposed to, but sometimes DN arp starts out of sync. Normally I power on the keystep first then digitakt then digitone in that order.

I did some experimenting and lost objectivity in the middle of it so I’m not sure precisely where in the process of turning things off and on, starting playpack on DN to see if the arp was synced when played by it’s own transport - the point at which the issue was fixed is lost. Basically I’m always able to resolve the issue but without a clear reason behind the resolution and it feels like it’s getting more frequent so I thought I might find an answer here.

I’m under the impression it shouldn’t matter what order I power them on, but am I wrong?

Short answer: no

1 Like

that’s what I thought. should I be using a shorter midi cable? I didn’t think a 6 foot cable would cause a sync issue but maybe I’m wrong about that.

Not sure about startup but I have noticed that sometimes my arp can seem out of sync but it’s nothing that restarting the pattern (STOP+PLAY) can’t fix

1 Like

Shouldn’t be an issue. Worth double checking that it is just the arp that has a problem, if the clock itself is out of sync that could be a different problem.

Assume it’s not due to the arp settings themselves? i.e. length and other settings. When you say out of sync, in what way is it out of sync?

1 Like

mine doesn’t fix itself until I play the dn transport from it’s own sequencer, I think that’s how it works. I became more acutely aware of the issue because using a glitchy arp that only plays back specific sounds when sync’d it’s easier to hear that it’s off.

I think the arp settings are fine. I’m getting a little searching in the tempo lock displayed on dn but I don’t think the sync is the issue.

out of sync meaning because it’s a glitchy sound, you can hear it rhythmically glitching in the wrong places and since it plays the wrong glitchy noise at the wrong time it’s no longer melodic, it just sounds out of sync. when it’s locked in, it always sounds the same every time so it’s not a random parameter, it just has a random feel due to the glitchy nature of the sound when arp’d.

That’s normal. I hate to ask the obvious (but often times it’s the obvious) do you have “transport send” checked on your DT and “transport receive” checked on your DN?

yes.

Actually something else just happened I pressed stop on the dt and the transport on the dn didn’t stop, the arp is stuck glitching in a weird pattern. I pressed stop on the dn transport and it’s still on. there’s something going on here that I guess is beyond what I thought the issue initially was because both are showing stopped and it’s still playing back in a random pattern now.

I powered them both off, now my DN is stuck at the boot screen lol.

Unplugged for 2 minutes, plugged back in, got past the boot screen. Lets see what happens…

started in sync… I recorded the glitch and the sync playback. I’ll upload the audio and see if there’s any opinion. I don’t really want to send my shit to elektron so I hope theres a simple answer.

this is the fucked up arp audio

this is the synced arp audio

is this outside the scope of “user error”?

thanks.

to clarify this is the first time it’s ever been this weird, usually it’s more of a subtle sync issue.

edit: you ever had arp trouble @Doug or is my machine just taking a shit

What is the note length of your arp notes?

1/32 notes with 16 bar arp length in up mode, range of 1, 0 offset, 1/16 speed

thanks

project is at 110 bpm but I don’t think that should matter

yeah the BPM def should not matter. Sorry I think i asked the wrong question. How long are your notes set on your trig page?

oh on the trig page length is set to 20.0 sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

thanks for trying to help

1 Like

No problem! I think that might be your problem btw. Longer note lengths when using the arp can cause the arp to do strange things. I personally wouldn’t use a note length longer than 16 when using the arp.

1 Like

I’ll give it a go with 16 but do you think that it would go so far as to cause the freeze I had yesterday? that seemed like a bug or something. The intermittent issue with the arp sync I reported first definitely seemed removed from the freeze, just the fact that the arp continued playing during the freeze until I power cycled made me suspicious.

1 Like

Yeah that def sounds like a bug

1 Like

thank you

I’m having this same issue. If I have DT send transport to DN, any track that has an ARP on the DN is off in it’s sync by a 1/16 it seems.
I’ve verified that my settings are similar to @shigginpit

1 Like