DT slice technique/hack - 4, 8, 16 - whatever!

Hi All,

This guy (Cool Doug Love) on youtube has found an innovative way to divide any sample into as many slices as you like :

Very smart. It’s no ‘insta-slice’ - but it’s probably as good as you’ll get on the DT

8 Likes

Is this your burner account? Lol @Doug

5 Likes

No burner account, just an honest plug

3 Likes

Clearly

3 Likes

I’d say tweak the LFO depth and the start point. This is less precise than just chopping with the start point so messing around with the settings might help.

But what I would try is basically taking the amp decay almost all the way down and setting the note length to be just a little bit shorter. Even if you’re good on the attack side of things, it might be the end of the chop that’s causing the pop.

Ok anything I write here gets contradicted by me twiddling knobs two seconds later. lol Anyway, I have no idea why this is continuing to happen. I tried the above adjustments and not a lot happened. Is it chopping on non-zero crossings maybe? Only thing I can come up with.

Yeah, it’s probably chopping on nonzero crossings since all it’s doing is splitting the sample evenly.

Also, I didn’t get into this in the video because I was still messing around with it and I didn’t want to make it any more complicated than it needed to be, but if I’ve got a 4 bar sample, I’ll sometimes chop it up a bar at a time.

So I’ll set it up to just chop up the first bar and then to get chops from the other parts of the sample, I’ll just lock the start point to move the LFO around the sample.

This works really well with the scenes trick I’ve been playing around with and it also gives you a little more precision in chopping up your sample.

But also, this is just a work around. So what I would probably do if you’ve got to do close, precise editing on a part is use the LFO trick to figure out how you want to chop the sample but then just do it the regular way by editing the start points.

1 Like

How are you locking it down to just 1 bar? The sample end point?

The LFO depth and the start point.

If you’ve got a perfect 4 bar loop and the midpoint
there would be 60 since it’s just the middle of the sample. And the depth would be -60 since the loop starts at 0. This LFO would cover the entire sample.

If you just want the first bar of that then you’d set the start point at 15 since that would be the midpoint of the first bar. And the depth would be -15 because the start point is still zero. This LFO would just cover the portion from 0-30.

To move to the second bar you’d just need to move the start point to 45, which is the midpoint of the second bar. The depth would still be -15 because the second bar starts at 30. This would cover the portion from 30-60.

1 Like

Oh I see. Got it. Thanks.