Ducking compression

hey machinedrumists

i am on MD UW + drive … newest OS

standard stock Userwaves KIT

as far as I know, I have none of the stock compression or LFO levels in use or changed.

midi clock coming from OT 95.1 bpm

BD 1 8 12 14
SD 4 6 9 12 13
ht/tom 7
mt / tom 5 10
lt/tom nothing

this is the beat i have, sounds fairly normal … now when I enter on the
cp / whip channel steps 2 3 7 10 14 and mute / unute the channel

the sound of the previous drums get suppressed … i dont like that!

the sound from the last channel seems to make all the other sounds get quieter / suppressed / ducked !

i dont like that!

what is going on?

thanks for all advice and tips!

yeah that’s the Dynamix compressor doing its thing… it is active in that kit.
this comp is a bit quirky / non-intuitive to use…

it’s in the master FX section. turn MIX all the way to the right to bypass the comp.

Three possibilities I can think of:

1. a new kit on the md has the default of the compressor mix set to max. In addition the controls of the compressor mix are reverse of most the other controls, full counter-clockwise (0) is full wet and full clockwise(127) is completely dry.

2. Compression is occurring at the final mix because the total signal of all the tracks combined is too hot. Turn down the vol parameter of all sound to half to start then mix volumes from there. The default vol is at max. The effect of the level parameter becomes a boost above 100 or so and the distortion parameter can also influence gain staging a bit.

3. phase cancellation of two hits occurring at the same time

hey, guys BIG phaaat thanks for the quick reply!

i would have NEVER guessed that different kits have different “Master” FX settings …

jesus!

i thought the compressor and FX settings and so forth would be Global Setting thing …

well makes actually sense, if you look at it from a professional producers point of view … i guess i am still amateur … strange setting that kit has …

i bet i will forget this thread in a few months and have the same problem again … it is just so weird …

thanks void and StinkyBeat !

@stinky: i like the therory on phase inversion cancellation for simultaneous hits

and i hate starting off with volume settings cranked up to 100 instead of 50 …

thanks guys

The default compressor settings are setup like a Limiter. My guess is they have it on by default so of you’re playing live or just creating a new kit and not paying a lot of attention you won’t accidentally blast your ears/speakers because you had something way louder than the previous kit. I’m not too sure why the wet/dry knob is reversed though.