Electronic/Sythesized Hip Hop/Rap Beat challenge

I think you just revived it, have at it fella, I’m a bit time poor at the moment hence the low output but feel free to throw something up, I’m always interested to hear other people’s takes on the whole Synth-Hop thing…:+1:

3 Likes

I shall post my failed Legend of Zelda entry which is entirely synthesized except for the toms (Drums are Bitwig E-Clap, E-Hat, E-Kick)

It’s my attempt at synthetic instrumental hiphop in 5/4

I shall also try and make something else when I have a mo.

6 Likes

Dunno what part of that you consider a failure @monquixote, its a dope little video game vignette, it’s fun and playful, just like games…:+1:

2 Likes

It didn’t have any Zelda samples :rofl:

1 Like

Hahaha I get yer… still a triumph :wink:

1 Like

Good… we need more music made with some intention to get us out his Jamuary slogfest.

2 Likes

synthetic beat, but used an orch hit sample.

10 Likes

So, you don’t have to have a Syntakt to join in on this? Any synth’ll do? Ok. I’ll be back with a beat then. Loving this thread so far too! Thx for revival Kable. That Roots Manuva one was a heater Sym. Holy hell Waft. Nasty!

2 Likes

Going off the OP’s description this is a non sample based challenge (ie synthesised) so yeah, no syntakt or other sampler required, just a good old synth of any flavour.

I missed out first time myself so I need to get my ass into gear and get something submitted to the thread myself.

Thanks man appreciate the kind words :grin:

1 Like

That sir was crunchy in all the right ways… dope👍

1 Like

You mean digitakt? Syntakt is all synthesis, right?

Mc101 is sample based drums.

You could be right, I’ve not given the syntakt much of a look.

1 Like

I’d love to see what you think if you ever get your hands on one.

It’s nasty.

1 Like

How do people feel about wavetables as part of this challenge? They’re technically samples, but you’re using that sample for all intents and purposes as an oscillator

1 Like

Yeah I guess as long as you’re using them inside say a wavetable synth or granular synth or whatever I guess it’s fair game, I think the main takeaway is that no samples are used in the beat, one shots etc… have at it…

3 Likes

As long as we’re all okay with clips or samples or whatever category it falls under in the following scenario…

I often use one or two synths so create drum and perc sounds which I then either sample into the MPC or record straight into the DAW. I then create the rhythm from those clips/samples. Point being the raw sound is all synthesised

1 Like

Cool idea, it was actually the other idea I
Had for the previous battle (what became the Zelda battle) but i wasn’t aware that this thread existed.

I’d love to dive into this, but is there a timeline for this battle?

One thought I did have that another hiphop oriented battle could canabalize the number of entries in all battles, but on the other hand, it might attract a wider audience.

Edit: misread, seems there is no active battle now. At least. Not yet…. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Since you had an idea, might as try a new subject but run with it.

Just make the deadline far out. Like end of Feb. that way people got the time.

But keep the other battle the same. 2-3 week turnaround.

1 Like

I think I will take a little hosting break for now. But it someone wants to run with it. I’ll definitely join.

Otherwise, I might pick this up later if no one else does so before that :blush:

1 Like